Gluten free in my local chippie?

alliebee

I noticed a big sign in the window of my local chippy saying they now do gluten free batter ..made up fresh when you order...would this be low carb does anyone know? I presume its made with a gluten free flour of some sort

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I doubt it, gluten is a protein so removing it from ordinary wheat flour is likely to increase the percentage of carbohydrates per hundred grams. Other grains are sometimes used but won't necessarily be any lower in carbs than wheat.
(out of interest does he also cook the fish in new oil because there could still be cross contamination from the bits of batter from previous batchesthat would effect people with coeliac disease)

Reactions: 3 people

alliebee

Goodness I hadn't thought of that. Would be terrible if they did use the older oil. Could make someone very ill I was just wondering about the carbs. So I guess that is also on the no no list...having said that Im enjoying this low carb lifestyle and how it is making me feel

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed a big sign in the window of my local chippy saying they now do gluten free batter ..made up fresh when you order...would this be low carb does anyone know? I presume its made with a gluten free flour of some sort

I wouldn't have thought it would be low, but might be lower carb. I have done some experimenting with gram flour for pakora and the like, and it hasn't spiked me at all. It still has over 50g per 100g, but less than wheat flour at around 75g.

My local chippie also does gluten-free on a couple of nights (Thurs and Sat), and they also confirm the gluten free goods are cooked in their separate fryers. I'll try it one day.

My OH said in a very mournful voice the other evening that he misses "proper chips", so I have a feeling there will be a mandatory visit. I'll just have to ensure it's on a Thursday or Saturday.

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

Well I hope you enjoy them :). I've noticed quite a few people say they don't get a spike with battered fish (not the chips obviously). I guess its try a small piece and test before and after. Maybe in the future.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I hope you enjoy them :). I've noticed quite a few people say they don't get a spike with battered fish (not the chips obviously). I guess its try a small piece and test before and after. Maybe in the future.

I'm very fortunate that spikes, don't feature for me, including with a few chips. I'm just not bothered about a lot of those things any more. I tried the gram flour for pakora because I wanted something very crispy, and wanted an alternative to scratchings. Scratchings are fine for me once in a while, but really rather too fatty for my general preference.

alliebee

I adore pakoras. I've a good friend whose family are from India and the treats she makes are wonderful. She has taught me about spices and curries and she is type 2 also. I'm in awe of the low carb dishes she makes

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think the batter will be made with either rice flour or cornflour, so will still contain carbs.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Carb content is about the same as ordinary batter. A chippy near me does gluten free batter and mixes in front of you and fries the cod chunks in the chip oil. No wheat or gluten goes anywhere near the gluten free food, even different equipment is used to remove the fish from the fryer so no contamination. :)