Gluten free prescription foods to be abolished ?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I heard something about this on the radio (5live maybe) a couple of months ago. They were saying that these products have become more mainstream now so there is no need to prescribe them. Although the cost is still higher than regular flour products it isn't worth the cost of prescribing them now that they are so readily available and relatively cheap as compared to their costs in the past.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I heard something about this on the radio (5live maybe) a couple of months ago. They were saying that these products have become more mainstream now so there is no need to prescribe them. Although the cost is still higher than regular flour products it isn't worth the cost of prescribing them now that they are so readily available and relatively cheap as compared to their costs in the past.

Unfortunately the cost is still high, they are not cheap, a genius loaf of bread starts from £2.70 and more. I don't eat genius myself.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of the big supermarkets now have a wide variety of "free from" food for those wanting to avoid gluten. After being diagnosed with T2 I stopped eating bread altogether and this has help reduce my blood glucose and lose weight.

The real issue is that bread is a low cost food, so not having access to gluten free bread may be difficult for those on very low incomes.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Most of the big supermarkets now have a wide charity of "free from" food for those wanting to avoid gluten. After being diagnosed with T2 I stopped eating bread altogether and this has help reduce my blood glucose and lose weight.

The real issue is that bread is a low cost food, so not having access to it may be difficult for those on very low incomes.

That's what the article talked about, the vulnerable on a low income and also the elderly.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat bread myself (although I love it), I guess that would be an option for coeliacs if it's too expensive? Or maybe eat half the amount, thereby reducing the cost to that of an ordinary good quality loaf?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm gluten-free, but not diagnosed coeliac (and as I already followed an LC way of eating, am pretty unlikely to be diagnosed by antibodies, unless I gluten load), but I don't even feel tempted to buy GF bread. About the only thing I have bought, so far, is GF Soy Sauce. Other "stuff" I make for myself and to be honest, home made variants of mustard, condiments and the like are cheaper, per 100ml than buying ready made, and of course, I can adjust things to suit my taste.

I'm afraid, when life saving/lengthening drugs are so severely restricted by the NHS, I'm afraid I find it tricky to justify the prospect providing food, free on prescription. I struggle to find a way to accept that a life devoid of bread or pizza bases is in any way impaired.

https://www.glutafin.co.uk/your-pre...ree-food-am-i-entitled-to-on-my-prescription/

I am told by a coeliac friend that most commercially available GF bread or cakes are not too good. Obviously, that's her opinion.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that eating bread is an ingrained habit. I did start looking for low carb bread once I was diagnosed T2, but after a while became resigned to not eating bread at all. After a while I stopped thinking about it.

Unfortunately, many of the foods recommended by health care professionals such as bread, pasta, potatoes and fruit turn out to be not good for diabetics. You need to reprogram your eating habits in order to go low carb. Lowering your blood sugar will mean that you can expect to live a lot longer and help prevent getting alzheimers.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was surprised, as I am sure many others were, that this gluten free prescribing existed. I am not sure if it is a good idea or not, but I am curious to know how it works. Do you get an NHS loaf from the pharmacy, or a voucher to take to the supermarket or what?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was surprised, as I am sure many others were, that this gluten free prescribing existed. I am not sure if it is a good idea or not, but I am curious to know how it works. Do you get an NHS loaf from the pharmacy, or a voucher to take to the supermarket or what?

You get it on repeat prescription, then take the script it to a pharmacy.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think that eating bread is an ingrained habit. I did start looking for low carb bread once I was diagnosed T2, but after a while became resigned to not eating bread at all. After a while I stopped thinking about it.

Unfortunately, many of the foods recommended by health care professionals such as bread, pasta, potatoes and fruit turn out to be not good for diabetics. You need to reprogram your eating habits in order to go low carb. Lowering your blood sugar will mean that you can expect to live a lot longer and help prevent getting alzheimers.

Hi, this isn't actually about diabetes or low carb, it is about Coeliac disease.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm gluten-free, but not diagnosed coeliac (and as I already followed an LC way of eating, am pretty unlikely to be diagnosed by antibodies, unless I gluten load), but I don't even feel tempted to buy GF bread. About the only thing I have bought, so far, is GF Soy Sauce. Other "stuff" I make for myself and to be honest, home made variants of mustard, condiments and the like are cheaper, per 100ml than buying ready made, and of course, I can adjust things to suit my taste.

I'm afraid, when life saving/lengthening drugs are so severely restricted by the NHS, I'm afraid I find it tricky to justify the prospect providing food, free on prescription. I struggle to find a way to accept that a life devoid of bread or pizza bases is in any way impaired.

https://www.glutafin.co.uk/your-pre...ree-food-am-i-entitled-to-on-my-prescription/

I am told by a coeliac friend that most commercially available GF bread or cakes are not too good. Obviously, that's her opinion.

This is about Coeliac disease and it is not a life time choice, or is it about diabetes, just saying.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Then what does the pharmacy give you?

It depends on what you want( or are entitled to, as surgeries differ a lot) I rarely get anything, I did in the beginning, but not so much now, but it may change, as I lost my job, ( I was self employed, but have a back problem) I have found another job, but it is zero hours, so money is a little tight at the moment.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I used to get about 12 small loaves of bread from the pharmacy, most of which I then had to freeze so they didn't go stale. It was a right pain ;)

Ahhh yes, they have to bake it in bulk.