Glycemic curve resources?

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've long found carb-counting and/or GI totally inadequate as a way of calculating my insulin doses - when reduced to one or two numbers, important information about how the glucose will be released over time is lost.
Instead I tend to picture the curve for different foods, and try to match the timing and doses of my bolus insulin so that the resulting insulin curve counteracts that (also factoring in things like basal,exercise,sleep,stress,etc.).
My ideas of the curves for different foods are just built up from experience though, and are quite vague and uncertain, because they are mostly based on only a few point readings from finger pricks, and it's often hard to separate just the effect of the food from all the other variables. Starting on the Freestyle Libre recently has been helping me get a bit of a better picture, but I'd still like to improve it. So I'm wondering now what resources are out there to help with this?
I'm imagining a catalogue of different foods/meals, along with their curves. Just breaking things down into components and summing them doesn't seem adequate either, because the interactions between them are significant - e.g. fat delaying the effect of carbs.
Of course these could only be approximate as they will vary depending on the person, and the existing contents of their stomach before eating, and many other factors, but just as a starting point that we could then adjust according to our experience it could still be useful.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's even more complex than you imagine. Some food combinations also trigger a glucagon release which increases the glycemic response to that particular food type, but this is pretty individual as well, depending on a lot of factors.

Likewise, gut flora also affects how an individual reacts to specific food types. I had a recent conversation with some type ones who find that basmati rice causes a lower rate of increase of blood glucose whereas for me it is as fast as any other refined rice. The linked paper was considered to be part of the reason.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151119143445.htm

Reactions: 10 people

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That cookies/banana plot is crazy. I knew that foods affected different people differently, but hadn't realized it was to that extent.
Really interesting study, thanks for the link. It's a nice use of machine learning too (the full text of the paper is here).

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
This theory proves that diabetes can make you fat. Everyone peaks differently so only some get fat depending on if these constant peaks last long enough?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It reminds me Ayurvedic diet based on ancient medical system of India. It recommends different types of foods for different people, depending on their body characteristics. I quite like the whole idea and surprisingly on my ayurvedic list of forbidden foods is rice and bread, which give me huge spikes.

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It reminds me Ayurvedic diet based on ancient medical system of India. It recommends different types of foods for different people, depending on their body characteristics. I quite like the whole idea and surprisingly on my ayurvedic list of forbidden foods is rice and bread, which give me huge spikes.
Isn't that the diet depending on your blood group etc?

Jestred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like the idea of the Ayurvedic diet, Looking at it I'm a pitta person, and they have hit the nail on the head on the foods I love but should avoid. So I'm going to have to say with this one its all mumbo jumbo and nonsense.
"In terms of their diet, Pitta people should avoid hot spices, alcohol, coffee, vinegar, and acidic foods like citrus and tomatoes. Of course, these are typically their favorite foods!"