1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Glycogen stores, hypos and low carb/keto diets

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by EllieM, Nov 25, 2020.

1. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Good points, and I didn't mean to suggest that brittle diabetics (those with very sharp hypos) all had glucagon issues, just that glucagon issues could cause it. And if I had brittle diabetes I think I would try keto to avoid it. (Just psyched myself up to try dropping my carbs some more and maybe some more serious fasting :))

• Like Like x 1
  2. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Ellie, my Mum was described as having brittle diabetes (over 40 years) and they said that meant no matter how much effort went into controlling her levels (and a LOT of effort was made), her levels shot up and down chaotically, most of the time leading to several hospitalised hypo's and hyper's. Her Consultants devoted hours and hours and hours trying all sorts of solutions mostly to no avail. As with diabetes in general, there are many facets to it. x

• Hug Hug x 2
  3. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there, pretty much spot on. I'll tell you this, if MY levels were to drop into the low 3s and they often do, I will NOT be relying on my liver to step to my rescue on the basis that 'oh, eventually, probably after several hours unconscious, it'll have done its job'. By which time I imagine it would have dropped into the 1s! I just think even giving the impression this is somehow a solution to a hypo is dangerous, personally. My Consultant said that hypos (prolonged and often) can cause damage to the brain if left untreated and I believe him. x

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. PeteN11

PeteN11 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My understanding of Cholesterol readings is that HDL readings are the good ones and LDL readings are for the bad ones. If overall cholesterol increases it does not necessarily mean increased risk of heart problems it depends on those LDL readings.

I was recommended Statins pre diagnosis but declined however since I have gone on them and my Cholesterol has declined. Depending on next years blood tests I may try 6 months without, as long as I stay low carb that is.

I do not intend increasing my fat levels whilst low carb as I believe I am carrying more than enough to keep me going for many a year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lynnzhealth

Lynnzhealth Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I follow the Diet Drs, too, and also Dr. Richard Bernstein and his book, The Diabetes Solution. He was T1 since 1946 when he was 12, so he has many years of doing research, mostly using himself as a guinea pig. (And, he's still going strong at 86 yrs old). I like to think that he has lots and lots of experience, both with the old method and the low carb method. If he can do it, then I can, too. I was diagnosed T2 at 69, then T1 at 71 after a serious DKA episode and I'm now nearing my 73rd birthday. I'd like to live a healthy life for as long as I can, with no complications. Take care and stay safe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. oldgreymare

oldgreymare Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I can get great BG control with very low carb and lots of exercise, sadly I fall off the wagon frequently. But my T1 diagnosis at 51 made me reevaluate much of my diet and some of my lifestyle. Like pretty much everyone over 55 I have had statins pushed at me. I always decline, as although they will reliably reduce LDL-C, there is no evidence that they improve longevity for post menopausal women. I am already very stiff jointed, so not keen on known side effects of muscle pain and increased insulin resistance. I have always had high HDL-C levels, but evidence that this is protective is being questioned.

So how to manage my CVD risk - obviously both T1 and more so T2 are contributory risks. To cut a long story short, my go to resources are PeterAttiaMD.com and Thomas Dayspring. So I'm basically discarding the trad total Chol , HDL-C, LDL-C metrics. Instead focusing on Triglycerides & Apo B (more accurate LDL marker). I have also had lipo (a) measured - you only need this once as it is a genetic marker. Very recently I had an elective CT CAC scan - did show some coronary artery plaque. Only reliable way to reverse is significant fasting, so now exploring how to manage this as a T1...

• Like Like x 1
    #26 oldgreymare, Nov 30, 2020 at 10:44 AM
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook