Status
Not open for further replies.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Why am I not surprised.

An additional happy fact about the new fake meats is that the cells are cultured in feotal bovine serum.

https://www.cbinsights.com/research/2019-lab-grown-meat-protein-growth/

The various producers are doing their utmost to replace the culture medium but apparently it's not easy. A couple of companies have managed it but not all.

I've said before - I wouldn't eat the stuff if they paid me!

Reactions: SimonCrox
M

Member496333

Not really that surprised if I’m honest. Enough irony to sink a ship. Actual carcinogenic food-like product being created as a replacement for allegedly carcinogenic real natural food. Clearly that isn’t the only supposed benefit of these things, but nevertheless, it’s humans all over to be honest. The hubris is amusing and sad in equal measure.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Still to find a "man-made" alternative food (so called) that betters an original. Each time "we" improve you name it, from wheat, sugar, oils etc the end result is the same.

Will this information make the mainstream news. Some groups with influence should ensure it does.

M

Member496333

Just to add, I’ll be surprised if this story finds a prominent spot in the mainstream media.

EDIT: cross posted with @Mbaker

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'll take a wait and see approach on this product.Food for thought for sure.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hmmmmm, yummy! :***:eek:_O:yuck::yuck:

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly, I must state that I would have no interest in eating this product- glycophosate or not.

However, the issuse of glycophosate contamination is not unique to this product. In a different place on the linked website, wine was tested, and half of the wines had a similar level of glycophosatete, or higher, to the burger mentioned. (one wine was 4 times as high) Another report found large amounts in bread, conventional veggie burgers, orange juice,

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
By the way am an omnivore will eat anything.

OK so what is the point of this story?
It has no relevance to diabetes its just another story rubbishing and alternative food source and if you want a meat free burger in the USA then try Beyond Meat.

But if your all sitting there smug thinking "well I'm free of it" think again. Glycophosphates are used on a commercial scale in the USA across nearly all their agriculture, which means on the wheat used to make your bun, on the lettuce, tomatoes used to flavour your burger, may also be in the grass that the beef product has eaten before being served to you and of course if the diner uses veg oil odds on it in there as well.

So that means you will also get your dose of Glycophospates as well. Happy eating :)
I’ll stick to my U.K. based beef then eh? And avoid the veg.. limiting exposure as much as possible...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I think that it is worth noting that just because a couple of consumers have won huge damages in the USA this does not constitute absolute scientific proof that Glyphosate is a carcinogen, nor that (if it is) it is carcinogenic in small concentrations.

As others have noted, Glyphosate is central to current agriculture in most developed countries (if not all countries) so traces are likely to be widespread.

@bulkbiker even UK grass fed meat could have traces through the grass eaten (and supplementary feeding over winter) even if only from spray drift.

Oh, and https://medium.com/impossible-foods...omote-a-dangerous-fundamentalist-bea50822605a for a response.

The original article seems to conflate a load of issues without showing any causation; for example stating that Glyphosate can cause liver damage then stating that loads of people in the USA have non-fatty liver disease. I suspect that there are more obvious causes.

The original article also segues into a general rant about GMO foods being used directly or in the food chain but the burger not being declared as GMO. Also GMO soy protein being used when not approved for human consumption.

I wonder if there is some funding for Squeaky Clean Wholesome Moms of America from the Hormone Riddled Stockyard Raised on GMO Soy Meat Producers of America?

Oh, and there is also a list of additives (which looks familiar for many UK based products) which may have been in contact with GMO and/or Glyphosate. So the initial attack seems just to be to give a catchy headline "Healthy Vegetarian Pattys (can't call them burgers now) aren't as healthy as you think".

At least we can now add "Glyphosate contaminated" to the "chlorinated" USA chicken. Oh, and GMO fed.

Cynical, moi?

Reactions: Kim Possible

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
By the way am an omnivore will eat anything.

OK so what is the point of this story?
It has no relevance to diabetes its just another story rubbishing and alternative food source and if you want a meat free burger in the USA then try Beyond Meat.

But if your all sitting there smug thinking "well I'm free of it" think again. Glycophosphates are used on a commercial scale in the USA across nearly all their agriculture, which means on the wheat used to make your bun, on the lettuce, tomatoes used to flavour your burger, may also be in the grass that the beef product has eaten before being served to you and of course if the diner uses veg oil odds on it in there as well.

So that means you will also get your dose of Glycophospates as well. Happy eating :)

As a Diabetic who has chosen to adjust her diet by lowering the amount of carbohydrates (from plant based foods) and raising the amount of protein (in my case from animal products) in an effort to combat insulin resistance this thread is pertinent because of the constant pushing from certain quarters of man made alternatives that have been found to be contaminated with a carcinogen - the very argument that is levelled against the red meat that I eat for its protein.

It is also pertinent because I would guess that the overwhelming majority of members here actually care a lot about nutrition in general. I'm not feeling smug, I'm feeling informed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cool save some for me :)

However that was not what the title of the thread said, in fact it was just a link to news site with nothing more about why.

There are lots of members here that care about nutrition as so we should all be that was not the point, are you for example interested in buying and eating the Impossible Burger? if so then yes I agree the article can be very informative.

I'm not feeling smug that I would not go out of my way to buy this product or any other 'healthier' alternative to meat.
My point is that often this type of product comes cheek by jowl with junk science that demonises the product that it is an alternative to. (If that makes sense?).

M

Member496333

Do we know if any meat has ever been found to contain this stuff?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Alas, the history of food and what's good or bad for you is littered with junk science or advertising depending on how you view these things.

Had the title said, or even the main article said something along the lines of "anyone looking for alternative meat products might be interested in this...……" then fine, but it was just dropped in and left to see what festers, which so far it is doing.

However, the issue still stands that many agricultural products produced in the USA may well have this weed killer in them so it is not just limited to the burger in question.

I agree, Big Food is never to be trusted. Still maintain that the topic is pertinent. Bit defeatist to say 'oh well, it's in everything so suck it up'. Junk science affects us all whether we choose one dietary lifestyle or another.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DCUKMod - can you please close this thread; alternatively I can delete it?

I really resent the implication that I posted this to cause dissent. The reason was purely for information which I hope is the primary motivation for any posts I make. When my intent gets twisted to:
it was just dropped in and left to see what festers, which so far it is doing.
well, time for me to bail.

Thanks for your assistance with this.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Indy51 - I have just opened this thread momentarily, to reply.

Should you ever want to delete a thread you created, all you need do is delete the initial post. That does it.

I will lock it again, as per your wishes.

Reactions: Indy51
Status
Not open for further replies.