Going high after eating

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I seem recently to start going up after 3 hours of taking a bolus ( and the food isn't height in fat) is this due to the fact my bolus should be more, or something else, as after 3 hours I would be say 7, then would go up to 11/12 and maybe come back to 10 but stay around this till my next bolus

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Anywhere between 2-3 hours with any bolus is the time for bolus to be amended. At other times its your basal.

If you are 10 before your food and then dropping to 7 ..3 hours after food that would be your bolus that you are having too much. If you then rise from 7-10 before your next meal then that is your basal which needs more.

How long have you been on a pump?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Skip lunch and test your basal for that section. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the pump 4 months, yep did the basal test, keeping at s nice 5.5 mmol level, so i would be 6 before my meal, take my bolus, and would not rise much, then after about 3 hour so would begin to rise and I would go up to about 10, and I would stay at this level

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Do you do standard bolus's?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Without being too "open" - does your digestion work properly.. Ie do you get any constipation? Only for the fact that when my digestion is speedy it raises my levels...

Is there the likelihood of hormonal changes taking place at all?

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Without being too "open" - does your digestion work properly.. Ie do you get any constipation? Only for the fact that when my digestion is speedy it raises my levels...

Is there the likelihood of hormonal changes taking place at all?

Hi, no all regular in that department

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
On the pump 4 months, yep did the basal test, keeping at s nice 5.5 mmol level, so i would be 6 before my meal, take my bolus, and would not rise much, then after about 3 hour so would begin to rise and I would go up to about 10, and I would stay at this level

Almost certainly points to your bolus dose if your bg levels remain around 5.5 when fasting.

Does this happen with all meals, as you've alluded to earlier both protein & fat can impact on bg levels many hours later, you could experiment with using a Dual Wave bolus as this will deal with the delayed spike, you would need to check mind that you don't spike 1-2 hours postprandial.

Reactions: 2 people

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Almost certainly points to your bolus dose if your bg levels remain around 5.5 when fasting.

Does this happen with all meals, as you've alluded to earlier both protein & fat can impact on bg levels many hours later, you could experiment with using a Dual Wave bolus as this will deal with the delayed spike, you would need to check mind that you don't spike 1-2 hours postprandial.

Hi noble head, no not all meals, but I think my bolus ratios maybe changing, and I might try the dual wave for some meals and see how I get on- thanks for the advice.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
How long before you eat do you bolus?

Topher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long before you eat do you bolus?

About 20 mins beforehand, for instance at lunch today I was 5.5, took my bolus and 4 hours later I was still 8.4, so I think it's just my basal ratios need changing slightly ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Topher, try and identify which meals make you go high 2-3 hours postprandial and keep a record of them, there are some meals where you need to use the extended bolus options on a pump for reasons that don't always seem obvious, I always try and make a note of them just so I can refer back to them for future reference.

Reactions: 2 people