1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Going Vegetarian for christmas due to visitor's, don't have a clue! Need special recipes

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Maggie/Magpie, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Maggie/Magpie

Maggie/Magpie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    Recently diagnosed type 2, doing low carb high fat diet, obviously avoiding sugars as well. On top of that I have 3 visitors coming for christmas, my daughter (who isn't too much of a problem), and two of her old uni friends, a young female Muslim, and a young female who can only eat meat killed in a certain way (I think its called ha lou?). I live on a smallish Island, which I doubt will cater for such different things. So my daughter and I have decided were going vegetarian rather than causing offence or any other difficulties. So I'm looking for some really special recipes for this special occasion that we can all enjoy together. Which will cover three days, breakfasts, dinner and tea. I'd also like to serve a starter and pudding for boxing day, which will be our main event. All suggestions welcome.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How strict? Are eggs and dairy all right? Is fish OK?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. geefull

geefull Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Might it be 'Halal' food?

If it is some supermarkets have cooked/prepared meat items that might be suitable (Asda does I think and perhaps also Tesco) if you do a quick search.

That might add to your options.

Crustless quiche is tasty and can be prepared ahead and kept in the fridge, I make one with different fillings in each half then slice it up. It's quick and handy for tea time or supper.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #3 geefull, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:24 PM
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  4. What a lovely idea. There is a large recipe index pinned to the top of the vegetarian sub-forum and a thread with some veggie Christmas dinner ideas at the bottom of the sub-forum. Have a look and see what you fancy and what is available where you live. You don't need meat or fish meat to have great meals over the holidays. Good luck :cat:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Maggie/Magpie

Egg's and Diary are apparently fine, but no fish.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Maggie/Magpie

'Halah' that's the one!
    We don't have an Asda, not yet any way its being built as we speak. Tesco's is a bit tricky to get to for me as it takes 2 buses, no car.
    So I will probably stick with just Vege. But thanks anyway.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. chalup

I am thinking a nice quiche or frittata for breakfast. I think I spelled that wrong. Asparagus sauteed in garlic butter with a bit of parmesan is very good. Brussel sprouts au gratin. Cheesecakes can be low carb and also fit with vegetarian. Vegetarian pizza made with fathead pizza dough. Most fat bombs are delicious treats and are vegetarian friendly as well as low carb so everyone can have truffles. Fancy nuts would be good just not glazed ones. There are lots of recipes on the net and also on this site. Enjoy your christmas :D:p

Oh ! Almost forgot the stuffed mushroom caps! Don't forget those YUMMMMM :wideyed::woot:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

Waldorf salat (pure whipped cream no Mayo )is wonderful for both vegetarians and Meat eaters and orange salad with parsley is so Nice in its Colors and taste wonderful Homemade tomatochips with olives and goat cheese

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #8 Freema, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:56 PM
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  9. ^^^Watch out for parmesan though as it is not vegetarian.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. chalup

Really? I had no idea. You learn something new every day. Why is it not vegetarian?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

Is parmesan made of bacterias ?

12. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

Waldorf salat for low carbers could be made from selery cucumbers and more roasted walnuts and pickles instead of grapes and Apples

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is fabulous as a Christmas Day Dinner main - I have had it several times when visiting vegie friends and each have put their own spin on it by having different vegetable side dishes, it went particularly nice with roast parsnips:
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...oux-pastries-filled-with-mushrooms-in-madeira

This one is excellent, too - I often do this one:
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/delias-summer-collection/piedmont-roasted-peppers

and this:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...abs-with-herbs-and-fresh-mexican-tomato-salsa

As you can tell, I'm a Delia fan. Her recipes are mainly easy and always work.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. "Parmesan/Parmigiano-Reggiano is an EU Protected Designation of Origin product and has to be made using calf rennet, so it’s definitely not suitable for vegetarians."

https://www.vegsoc.org/saycheese#

As made from calfs' stomach lining then there is a potential for it not being halal either.

@chalup @Freema

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. chalup

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Those peppers are lovely. I've had them and subbed the wee fish for capers.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. Update: Didn't like these. Too rich and "earthy" for my taste :***: Never mind, if we don't try we never know.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Be careful with chestnuts. Its a very common allergy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

I would go down the middle easten route , with spicy aubergine and chickpea stew , could serve with whole meal warmed pittoa bread .. or cauliflower roasted spiced cauliflower.. I would do dips of choice with cucumber and other savour nibbles ..
    Sour cream goes well with the stew :)

• Winner Winner x 3
    #20 Kat100, Dec 19, 2016 at 8:32 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2016
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook