Good evening all

GPM44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just wanted to share my latest news, first time I've posted so I hope it's of interest?
In September 15 I was admitted to hospital as a day patient for a routine op for a non diabetes related condition, as part of routine obs they did a finger prick test for diabetes and I was shocked to be told it read 16.4! I had absolutely no symptoms. The first hba1c two weeks later was 103. Doctor said "oh yes you're diabetic, then dished out the meds as a matter of course, to be fair he did say "there is good news, you're now exempt from prescription charges!!" I was speechless, so I decided to self educate and got a lot of brilliant guidance from forums & especially this one, thereafter second hba1c result just before Christmas 15 was 57 & today doctor (different one from the one mentioned above) told my third hba1c is 39, now in the normal range & she's taken me off all meds, also worth mentioning I've lost 30kg in weight, 8 inches of my waist, 3 inches off my neck, I run/walk up to 8 miles everyday & I've never felt better. I share this, not to be smug, but in the hope it inspires others. Thanks for reading

Reactions: 13 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome.
You have done realy great,congratulations.

Reactions: 3 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@GPM44
That's really great news, Well done.
I'm sure this could really encourage others.

PS Did you not get told that the bad news is that you will not be able to claim another exemption certificate, though I think you can use the one you have until it runs out.

Reactions: 3 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@GPM44 - Hello and Welcome. What a brilliant read and Well Done.:)

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sean01

Just wanted to share my latest news, first time I've posted so I hope it's of interest?
In September 15 I was admitted to hospital as a day patient for a routine op for a non diabetes related condition, as part of routine obs they did a finger prick test for diabetes and I was shocked to be told it read 16.4! I had absolutely no symptoms. The first hba1c two weeks later was 103. Doctor said "oh yes you're diabetic, then dished out the meds as a matter of course, to be fair he did say "there is good news, you're now exempt from prescription charges!!" I was speechless, so I decided to self educate and got a lot of brilliant guidance from forums & especially this one, thereafter second hba1c result just before Christmas 15 was 57 & today doctor (different one from the one mentioned above) told my third hba1c is 39, now in the normal range & she's taken me off all meds, also worth mentioning I've lost 30kg in weight, 8 inches of my waist, 3 inches off my neck, I run/walk up to 8 miles everyday & I've never felt better. I share this, not to be smug, but in the hope it inspires others. Thanks for reading
Brilliant weight loss/waist loss etc and proof that if you catch it early enough and tackle this full on, you can reverse it. Just stay on the exercise plan, eat well and make sure it doesn't come back - an no you're no smug - inspirational yes, but not smug. You don't say where you started from but three inches of the neck - sounds good too.
Personally: T2, diagnosed Oct 15, metformin, exercise and diet. Started off at 143 kg. weight loss 90lbs (static at the moment), waist 8 inches, wrist - one inch!!!! just from the watch strap, Exercise - walk everyday for 40 mins plus and weights a few times a week and like you, never felt better in fact at 50, I feel like I did when I was 35 - which is close enough to never felt better!. Well done. (My initial reading was 16.0. Still on meds - not out of the woods yet - bit more to loose and I need to stabilise diet etc.

Reactions: 6 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @GPM44

Tremendous work and well deserved results. And it is important for people on here or reading the forums to see what can be achieved so thanks for posting your details
Cheers

Reactions: 2 people