Good eye appointment but also a bit angry!

Leeds Lass

My partner went for his 4 monthly checks at the eye hospital today, good news, the new vessels that were seen back in April seem to be inactive as the consultant said they would have bled by now and they are happy with the laser that was done two years ago, so all is good at the moment.

My anger comes from the hospital that actually did the laser. We went to see them in April and the woman that looked at his eyes took less than a minute to look at each eye, she sat back in her chair and said "you need more laser, in both eyes" she then started filling the paperwork in for the appointment. We came out feeling really shocked and bemused, we had got his bloods down from 9 to 6.5, we were doing everything right and then this happens. We are aware that getting your blood sugars down can make things temporarly worse but we were just shocked. So we went to the reception and asked for a referral as we didn't really like her laid back approach to laser. Anyway we got a referral through in July to a different hospital and saw a brilliant woman, who basically said yes there was something there but due to the fact that my partner drives for a living she would leave it and just observe for now.

My point is that if we had just said "ok" to the other hospital, they would have lasered him for no reason, probably making his vison worse!

We have both realised that if you have any doubt about the people treating you and don't have confidence if them, you are well winthin your rights to be referred somewhere else.

LL x

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Sorry to hear about that bad experience, Leeds Lass. A friend of mine similarly had indifferent treatment and is now registered blind. He now has a great eye consultant but all too late!!

You mentioned your partner's better BS results but how is his blood pressure. That can have a big effect on diabetic eye problems.

Regards

Doug

bonerp

some consultants will come up with different diagnosis than others. I reckon I've had over lealous consultants in the past that love to do laser....

However don't assume that getting your BGs under control will result in improvements to an eye already going bad. Hopefully it will improve, or stabilise or but may also continue to get worse. If you got dirty jeans, washing them doesn't always get them clean...

However getting better control won't hurt... :wink:

Unbeliever

bonerp said:
some consultants will come up with different diagnosis than others. I reckon I've had over lealous consultants in the past that love to do laser....

However don't assume that getting your BGs under control will result in improvements to an eye already going bad. Hopefully it will improve, or stabilise or but may also continue to get worse. If you got dirty jeans, washing them doesn't always get them clean...

However getting better control won't hurt... :wink:[/quot

Absolutely. I could have written that post myself. Not only do patients not want to believe it but
the consultants and other doctors can't face the facts either!I