1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Good news

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Testimonials' started by bopeep12300, Nov 20, 2014.

1. bopeep12300

bopeep12300 Type 2 · Active Member

Hi everyone. It's been exactley a year since I was diagnosed with type 2. Had my review today & I'm delighted to announce that I've kept it so well controlled that my Metformin has been halved to just one tablet daily now .
    My level was about 30 I think. But my cholesterol was 5.5 which the nurse said was was just over the ideal range of 5 & asked if I wanted tablets for it, but I declined as I take quite a few meds already for other things & didn't want to add to the collection, lol.
    Throughout the whole year I've lost almost 4st in weight. I was borderline size 20 clothes, which is not good as I'm only 4ft 9" tall.
    But now I'm a very happy size 14 borderline size 12 depending on which shop.
    When I was first diagnosed I didn't have a single clue about any aspect of diabetes. Thought it so hard & complicated I thought I'd never get my head round it in a million years.
    Just goes to show it can be done. Good luck to everyone else xxx

• Like Like x 5
  2. Alanp35

Alanp35 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well done - keep it up.

3. bopeep12300

4. janeliz

janeliz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well done. You have done really well and deserve to feel proud.:cat:

5. cold ethyl

cold ethyl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Great going. Well done x

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Brilliant. Well done.

7. bopeep12300

Thank you everyone. I think I have amazed myself as I truly thought I could never do it. When I look back at pics of myself I realise now how big I was before for my short height.
    I used to eat almost anything. Takeaways, huge dinners, sweets, cakes, biscuits. I still have the sweets cakes & biscuits but now in moderation & much smaller meals.
    I don't count carbs (I don't know how), but I am aware that some things are high so therefore restrict them, such as potatoes, pasta, rice etc. Chips are a no go area at all now & rarely eat potatoes, but if I do it's only a couple of small ones.
    Never thought I'd be able to stop eating loads of bread as I adore tesco tiger bread. But now I just have a couple slices of wholemeal
    I kind of feel proud as I didn't attend the food course, or see any sort of dietician at all. I just read loads on here & the net in general & picked it up as I went along. If that makes any sense.
    But if I can reduce my levels then anybody can. I'm totally amazed at myself that I actually did it. :happy:

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook