1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Good night

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by pebbles22, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pebbles22

pebbles22 · Member

Right here goes, this is my last post on this forum. I cant deal with the self pitying people on here. I also cant deal with the fact that if your not empathtic / sympathetic / head patting / overly simpering / indulging grown adults your posts will be deleted. I have alot of experience with Type 1 diabetes my six year old has it as does my husband. They dont moan and whinge and generally look for sympathy and someone to blame. they get on with their lives as guess what they have no choice in the matter.

Theres too many people on here looking for someone to blame, someone to tell them there there, your right. As I said the overwhelming vibe of this forum is POOR ME. And if you dont agree we dont want to hear from you, because guess what, that would all be too hard for us to bear.

So thats me signing off, thats if the post isnt deleted.

Ta ra

2. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

Bye! Hope you find whatever you're looking for somewhere else.

Smidge

3. Glados

Glados · Well-Known Member

As a newly diagnosed type 2 I've got a great deal of useful info from this forum (not sure what would have happened to my BG without it). And when I was frankly in SHOCK from being told what was wrong with me, the kindness around here helped me to adjust.

I guess we do all get a bit "poor me" but that's part of why we come here... For support, a place to blow off steam, a place of safety. I'm sure that most of us are brave enough in the real world - we joke about it, we hide it, we pretend we don't care. But when posting on a relatively anonymous cyber forum we can say the things that nobody wants to hear - that we're sad sometimes, we're scared of the side-effects, we don't want to be "ill" for the rest of our lives, we're angry, etc.

If this isn't the sort of thing you want to read about then go. But don't kick people when they're down.

4. Unbeliever

Unbeliever · Well-Known Member

I just posted something almost identical Glados but my post disappeared. People vent here so as not to upset family and friends. Disbetes and depression are known to be linked.
    Many families probably never know how he diabetic amongst them sometimes despairs. They would probably reject sympathy too in the "real world" The poster's husband may even feel sad sometimes about his condition and her little daughter may feel that way sometimes in the future.
    She herself must try to be strong for them and so as not to upset her they will also hide the bad times from her.

She is probably here in search of information to help them. Thats here too.

5. chocoholicnomore

chocoholicnomore Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Glados +1 :clap:

Pebbles 22, nobody is forcing you to join the forum or read any posts if you don't want to. It's a free world. If you don't like it then don't stay.
    It's like TV-if you don't want to watch something then turn it off, don't moan about it.

6. SweetHeart

SweetHeart · Well-Known Member

There are a lot of posts where people are moaning, that's very true. For all of the reasons Glados mentioned (v good post that, Glados) diabetics and their loved ones - like me - get very down. Some people get angry, some people are in utter despair, we all deal with things in different ways.

But then there are the many posts to celebrate, to be happy about milestones, to let other members know you've found their advice invaluable, to give advice to others from your own experiences, to have a healthy debate about the various aspects of diabetes...............the list is endless..........but all of which overshadow the not-so-cheery-but-necessary threads.

Having a balance of both is essential to any forum for any subject. The same can be said about forum members - a good balance of views keeps the forum fresh.

We all have to live with diabetes and it's consequences and, being only mere humans, it's not always possible to do it with good grace so thank Heavens for the sanctuary that is this forum.

Julia

7. Paul1976

Paul1976 · Well-Known Member

8. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

I haven`t been self pitying once! I resent that :angel:

9. viviennem

viviennem Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Some of us are alone, and have no one to help us or listen to us except this forum. If you can't find an outlet to have a good moan, or share your small triumphs, or can't get out to mix with people, then this forum is a good place to be.

Sorry we've upset you so much, Pebbles22. I hope you and your family live long and prosper.

Viv 8)

10. slimtony

slimtony · Well-Known Member

I think there should be a proper resignations section on the forum, where people can request their membership is deleted, have a self-absorbed rant, tell everyone else on the forum to get stuffed, and then leave before the replies come in. :thumbup:

The rest of the forum would then be left free to help diabetics. :think:

11. borofergie

borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yeah, c'mon, having a whinge now and then is a great coping mechanism.

I'm not sure that if it's true, but apparently Catholics have the lowest incidence of mental illness, because they get to get it all off their chest in confession. You can get the same effect here, without having to do 3 decades of the rosary as penance....

12. SweetHeart

SweetHeart · Well-Known Member

Good idea. Would people read it, do you think? :think:

Julia

13. didie

didie · Well-Known Member

Maybe a 'Checking-in and Checking-Out Forum'.

Goodbye Pebbles. I hope this forum will still be around when your daughter is older and is maybe looking for some support and reassurance outwith her family.

14. chocoholicnomore

It will be, even if it's just you and me in our 80s with loads of experience and knowledge :lol:

15. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Sorry to see you go Pebbles, take care and best wishes for the future!

16. pebbles22

pebbles22 · Member

HA HA

That got you all going, anyway my post was really directed at people with Type 1.

'mod edit'
    This forum is here to support all diabetics regardless of type. Type 2 is no less significant than type 1 !

17. borofergie

borofergie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yeah, did I mention that I ran with Steve Cram and Paula Radcliffe on Thursday night...

18. didie

didie · Well-Known Member

“All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.”

Tennessee Williams.

19. Paul1976

Paul1976 · Well-Known Member

mod edit personal attacks are not tolerated

20. chocoholicnomore

Ignorance - Not worth replying to :yawn: :***:

I have read back your posts and you seem to have had alot of help and advice from this forum so I don't understand your grievance :? :problem:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook