Good results ........... and not so good results

SueKen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, I have fallen off the wagon a bit in the last 6 months. Work has been hectic, the exercise regime has suffered. Diet has been a bit lapse, more lower carb than low carb. I've put on at least half a stone (although BMI still less than 25). I've not been checking the forum for regular encouragement. Hence it was with a sense of dread that I went for my 6 monthly blood test. I was fully expecting to be having the metformin discussion with the DSN. However, pleasantly surprised (and more than a little chuffed) with an HbA1c of 45, so still in pre-diabetic territory. Not so good news was my cholesterol, which has gone up to 6.3. The receptionist said I should probably speak to a doctor, but I have run away and hid, as I really don't want to be on statins. There wasn't a full breakdown this time, but my HDL was 1.9, so I don't think my ratio is too bad.
I suppose it's a real sign I need to get my act into gear again, and get some things heading back in the right direction before my annual review in February.
Confession ends.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
So, I have fallen off the wagon a bit in the last 6 months. Work has been hectic, the exercise regime has suffered. Diet has been a bit lapse, more lower carb than low carb. I've put on at least half a stone (although BMI still less than 25). I've not been checking the forum for regular encouragement. Hence it was with a sense of dread that I went for my 6 monthly blood test. I was fully expecting to be having the metformin discussion with the DSN. However, pleasantly surprised (and more than a little chuffed) with an HbA1c of 45, so still in pre-diabetic territory. Not so good news was my cholesterol, which has gone up to 6.3. The receptionist said I should probably speak to a doctor, but I have run away and hid, as I really don't want to be on statins. There wasn't a full breakdown this time, but my HDL was 1.9, so I don't think my ratio is too bad.
I suppose it's a real sign I need to get my act into gear again, and get some things heading back in the right direction before my annual review in February.
Confession ends.
Don't worry, a lot of us have fallen off the wagon, me included. You'll be back on track in no time I'm sure. :)

Low carbing is usually good for lipids, so over the next few months your triglycerides may well come down.

Do ask for a printout of your results so you can see the individual lipids. The total number is meaningless. Now, if you see the doctor, they cannot force you onto statins, it's always your choice. Knowledge is power so I encourage you to see the doctor just to gain knowledge and check that everything else is okay. It's a good idea to have regular blood pressure checks so you can do that at the same time. In all likelihood your lipids are not bad enough to warrant statins. Your doctor may try to pressure you but... you can resist. In this case, resistance is not futile. :)

Reactions: 2 people