1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Got Fed Up And Fell Off The Wagon

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by nomorechoccy, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I find lashings of Hellman's Real mayonnaise and / or grated cheese, added while the vegetable is as hot as possible so it melts, can make almost any vegetable taste acceptable. Maille Dijon mustard is good too.

2. bigsi1984

bigsi1984 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi. Before I settle on adding something to my diet I generally test every hour to see how the land lies. The meal in question never goes above 2 mmol. However, you’re definitely right because I have experienced what you describe, I just never knew the cause. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. nomorechoccy

nomorechoccy · Active Member

After a hard week at work drank a bottle of red wine last night.
    This morning I went to the Eastville park run and jogged 5k, fastest time this year ( having lost a little weight helped) hovering around 15 stone but I am 6 foot 5.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Alexandra100

I presume this was a parkrun? (I think parkruns are the best thing since sliced bread - or maybe I should say, creamed avocado?) You must have cut a fine figure, head and shoulders above most of the other runners. Would you care to divulge your time?

• Like Like x 1
  5. nomorechoccy

steak chips mushrooms and fried eggs for lunch ( would have loved some chips)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. jayney27

jayney27 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

When I fancy chips I make halloumi ones, they look like the tastiest chips when they are on your plate and are really tasty and very fashionable at the moment

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

@nomorechoccy have you tested for chips? I can manage 6-7 without causing too much damage to my BS.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Something I can never resist when eating out I just love chips

9. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I've only recently discovered halloumi, where has it been all my life? One thing for sure about LCHF it does not restrict the diet it widens the choices.
    P.S. I love celeriac chips, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Moggely

Moggely · Guest

I would love to fall off the wagon just once.:(. Just one normal day. Oh i agree with the Lindt 90% chocolate that bigsi1984 was talking about. I hated the taste when first i tried. Now i have about 2 squares, actually i'm back to 1 as that seems to satisfy my chocy craving.

11. jayney27

jayney27 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I know same for me, I wouldn’t have even looked at halloumi 9 months ago, now I love it.
    I think as your food options change you need to be a bit more willing and open to trying new things, I’ve discovered things that I didn’t like before are now favourites,. I like to think that it’s because things taste as they should and I’m not fooled by everything that’s been processed and preserved with ingredients I don’t need.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I "discovered" halloumi only 2 months ago and I absolutely love it now. I could never go back to the bland high carb diet I used to eat. My diet now is so tasty and delicious.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. nomorechoccy

sure 44 minutes dead not quick compared to when I was younger

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alexandra100

That's why runners have age categories. Anyway, I'm impressed! I am just trying to work my way up to doing another parkrun, after health problems and heatwave interrupted my training.

• Like Like x 1
  15. nomorechoccy

good luck with your parkrun. I am up to 69 in total albeit spread over a few years.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook