Got my start date

LaughingHyena

After what feels like a long wait over the summer I now have a start date. I'll get my pump on 30th September and go live with insulin on 7th October.

It's a bit later than I'd hoped, having been told it would be the begining of September I've kept things as free as possible thinking I'm likely to have had some sleepless nights of testing. Moved everything along to October, just my luck :lol:

Bought a spiblet a couple of weeks ago (was great for carrying my meter and dextrose over the summer) and a copy of pumping insulin so it's just counting down now.

Who else is starting soon, I think there were a few of us waiting for dates.

SewK8

Hi, I have my assessment next week and have already been put on the course to meet everyone else and to see the pumps. But that's in October so another wait. I just hope I am up and running by Christmas as I could really do with starting next year on a good note!

Do you know which pump you are getting?

Kat x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

blink

out of curiosity how long is tthe wait from being told you are starting on the pump to actually starting on the pump?

Kat you said you are goin on a course for the pump but have your assessment next week?? i have my meeting with the pump board at the end of the month but have been told nothing else, apparently its an assessment to see if i am able to get the pump or not(been trying for the last year to get on the pump and keep getting told no with different reasons each time :thumbdown: )

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's awesome! I'm going to discuss the pump at my appointment on Friday but I'm not holding out much hope of getting one :(

blink

hale710 said:
That's awesome! I'm going to discuss the pump at my appointment on Friday but I'm not holding out much hope of getting one :(

let me know how you get on, my meeting is the 29th of Sept but not gettin my hopes up although started lookin at pumps in more depth recently and really liking the idea of it

SewK8

Hello

Yes, I was surprised to get the course letter. I am in weekly phone calls to my DSN team and the pump nurse. I think they have been proactive in booking me as I have so many issues at the moment, the main being no hypo awareness and uncontrollable dawn phenomenon.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
blink said:
hale710 said:

let me know how you get on, my meeting is the 29th of Sept but not gettin my hopes up although started lookin at pumps in more depth recently and really liking the idea of it

I will do! I'm still in the honeymoon period so I don't think ill even be considered. But the consultant said I could get a pump when I'm trying to get pregnant, so why not just give it to me now so I can get used to it for a few years?!?

I was very against pumps at first, but I've realised how much simpler it can make things (once you get past the first few months of getting all your rates right!). I've started running and although I reduce both basal and bolus I'm still having to feed the insulin

LaughingHyena

Do you know which pump you are getting?
I'm opting for the animas vibe. I like the idea of everything being on the pump itself, I like to keep a meter in the car/handbag/where ever and didn't like the idea of needing to carry a remote round with me everywhere. I spend enough time looking for my keys :lol: It also seemed a bit smaller than the combo, which again appealed to me. No doubt there will be times I have it tucked under clothing and curse not having a remote though.

out of curiosity how long is the wait from being told you are starting on the pump to actually starting on the pump?
From the point I went to the first pump clinic and got the approval it's only been a couple of months (and part of that is down to my not being able to make appointments due to childcare over the summer holidays). However it has been nearly a year since the pump was first talked about. Over that year I've had regular appointments and changed quite a few things (changed insulin, ratios etc) and had to keep a couple of detailed food diaries to show my carb counting. I haven't been on a specific course though.

Good luck to those of you asking about pumps, it does feel like the right tool should make this whole diabetes thing a bit easier to manage.

fractureman

I'm just waiting for another 4 people to get recommended for a pump. My hospital only issue in groups to 6. When I went for intro was only me & another patient. They say it might be before Xmas maybe after.
All the best when you go live bet your excited :)

LaughingHyena

fractureman said:
I'm just waiting for another 4 people to get recommended for a pump. My hospital only issue in groups to 6. When I went for intro was only me & another patient. They say it might be before Xmas maybe after.
All the best when you go live bet your excited :)

Oh no, having to wait for another 4 people, that sounds like a real pain. Hoping for you that they approve some new pumpers ASAP.

I still don't know if I'll be starting with a group, I was told they like to where possible but that they would not delay me too long to wait for a group. As well as saving time they find a lot of the groups keep in touch, it would be nice ot have people IRL to share experiences with.

I'm kind of excited but also somewhat nervous. Really not sure how I feel about being attached to something all the time, I also feel a bit worried about trusting the pump. I think of AA batteries being for torches or making the kids toys beep. I'm not sure I like the idea of being dependant on them!. Just hoping I can get over it quickly and the the benefits are worth it.