Gout and fructose

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I just stumbled across this anecdote and thought I would share it in case it helps someone.

Tony Phylactou
I had my first gout attack about 10 years ago.
At the beginning I was having attacks every 6 months. Then gradually I was getting them
every 3 months, then every month and eventually every week.
It started at my big toe and then it was moving sometimes in my knees,and generally all
around my joints, in my feet.And the pain was agonising.
I have tried all the cures you can imagine.I tried ACV, lemons, drinking a lot of water, but
to no avail.I tried water fasting, juice fasting,baking soda, again without success.
I almost gave up meat, limiting it to only once a week ,gave up alcohol completely,again
no success.
I was living on vegetables, lots and lots of fresh fruit, milk ,cheese beans and so on .My
eating habits could not be healthier ,or so I thought.But my gout was worsening.
Then I decided to increase the amount of fruit I was consuming, thinking that if some fruit
is healthy, more fruit will be more healthy.Some days I was eating fruit only ,others over 10
portions a day.
And alas my gout instead of improving it became chronic ,it was there all the time.
I was desperate I did not know what to do.
And then one day accidentally I read an article about fructose,which is contained in fruit in
large quantities.It said that it increases uric acid, in a matter of minutes.
Fructose is also present in table sugar, and in HFCS, which is used in soft drinks.
I put two and two together and realised what I was doing wrong.
I stopped eating fruit and all other sugars, for a period of 3 weeks,and by magic I saw a
dramatic improvement.Pain was gone, swelling was gone, I was fine.
I re introduced fruit again in my diet but reducing them to 1 or 2 a day, and my gout completely
disappeared.
I do eat more meat now, and occasionally have an alcoholic drink, and thank God everything
seems to be fine.
Fructose was my enemy.

Found it in the comment section at the bottom of this article https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-fructose-bad-for-you-201104262425

I've heard people complain of gout when they go on a keto diet though and I'm not sure they are eating much fruit. Have you found any good ways to cure gout while managing diabetes?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told the end of a film
Going back some 3000 years in China and Egypt. And still used today by herbalists is using an infusion of celery seeds (a tea). Drinking 1 cup a day.

Today the seeds are used for treating rheumatic conditions and gout. They help the kidneys dispose urates and other unwanted waste products, as working to reduce acidity in the body as a whole. The seeds are useful in arthritis, helping to detoxify the body and improve the circulation of blood to the muscles and joints.

Celery seeds have a mildly diuretic and significantly antiseptic action. They are an effective treatment for cystitis, helping to disinfect the bladder and urinary tubules.

Do not use if pregnant.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CaminoTurtle