Gout!!!

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
After following LCHF since April, my husbands BS is between 5-7 most days and he's lost 3 stone in weight, so far so good, then a week ago he had severe pain in his left foot particularly around his big toe. After a visit to the GP he's been diagnosed with gout.:( I've been told to reduce his cheese and red meat intake. I still want to keep to LCHF but wondering what to cook as he regularly has steak and cheese has become his snack substitute. Just wondering whether anyone on here has ever had gout and what did you find best to eat. Maybe we should just go vegetarian in which case can anyone recommend a good LCHF veggie cookbook? :)

lindisfel

Expert
After following LCHF since April, my husbands BS is between 5-7 most days and he's lost 3 stone in weight, so far so good, then a week ago he had severe pain in his left foot particularly around his big toe. After a visit to the GP he's been diagnosed with gout.:( I've been told to reduce his cheese and red meat intake. I still want to keep to LCHF but wondering what to cook as he regularly has steak and cheese has become his snack substitute. Just wondering whether anyone on here has ever had gout and what did you find best to eat. Maybe we should just go vegetarian in which case can anyone recommend a good LCHF veggie cookbook? :)

Hi Time rich,
Someone on another diabetic forum suggested baking soda as a remedy for Gout. It's worth a try.
Some also think too much fructose is implicated in causing gout.
Derek

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear your oh has gout, I also do sometime get that ... I find if I rest it and soak it daily (some times several times a day) in a warm Epsom salts foot bath it helps to reduce the amount of time its inflamed.. I expect a warm water foot bath would work as well. I also take ( the wife makes me take ) bitter cherry capsules ... So am not normally in pain with it for more than a week doing all that ... Before I had suffered for many weeks with it.
Hope he better soon

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Sorry to hear your oh has gout, I also do sometime get that ... I find if I rest it and soak it daily (some times several times a day) in a warm Epsom salts foot bath it helps to reduce the amount of time its inflamed.. I expect a warm water foot bath would work as well. I also take ( the wife makes me take ) bitter cherry capsules ... So am not normally in pain with it for more than a week doing all that ... Before I had suffered for many weeks with it.
Hope he better soon
Thanks, we've been putting ice on it this afternoon which seems to have relieved it somewhat. He's been given some tablets from GP wit dire warnings of diarrhoea...so as we're going out to see friends this evening he's going to hobble there and begin meds tomorrow. The cherry capsules make sense as cherries are someting I've seen recommended on a couple of 'gout' sites I've been on this afternoon. Are they from the chemist or health shop. Also tried to get im vit c capsules (so far all contain aspartame:banghead:)
Just don't want to undo all the hard work:)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think .. and I may be completely wrong ... but is vic c not to good for gout ? ..... The cherry is from a well known health food store .. have tried the cheeper ones (unknown to me as I just take what the wife gives me !) and they did not work ... I get the salt on line from the Epsom Salts company .. only soak in it .. it can have dia effects if you eat it.
I did not go to the Drs with my gout ... so never tried the medication your oh has.

Edit to add .. I have pm you the cherry I take

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband, who joined me on the LCHF diet this summer, developed gout. He talked with an herbalist - (unknown whether a hobbiest or a professional) - and he suggested taking Malic Acid FCC/ USP Grade. It's used for wine making. He buys it in 5 pound bags. To learn more, I suggest you do an online search on "malic acid for gout".

My first thought was that my husband developed gout from the LCHF diet, but after thinking about it, we realized he'd had similar symptoms the previous summer, before trying the LCHF diet.

My father had gout off and on too. It's painful. I'll ask my husband tonight what else, if anything, he did. Hope your husband is feeling better soon.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally speaking I have gout and eat a lot of cheese and red meat. Two flare ups in 10 years. Allopurinol should keep it at bay. I don't think Vit C does any harm because I take 2 grams a day without any problems. Read the other day that apple cider vinegar is very good. I take a lot of it. Alcohol is supposedly bad? I have been on the LCHF diet for eighteen months without a flare up.

kyooshi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
The latest research is clear that sugar, NOT PURINES, is the biggest factor, Fructose for some reason is really a problem. Another study showed that milk, yes milk! will lower the uric acid levels. For me, that has helped with the cherry and bromelain pills. Also use both the Vitamin C and vinegar for the arthritis. pain is gone, no gouty attacks. anecdotal to be sure, but worth a try....

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had it from my late twenties, was teetotal at the time hardly ate meat (or any food containing purines) was not overweight and took regular exercise............

Gradually got worse over a decade (agony) , I tried "everything" recommended and tbh nothing worked............

Finally took the plunge and took Allopurinol (I hate taking pills) after by chance seeing my childhood doctor......who basically said take the pills or end up crippled........

10 years later and still pain free......................

By all means try the other stuff but dont soldier on if in pain

S

Shar67

Hi did they do a blood test to confirm gout, my OH has Hallux Rigidis (type of arthritis of the toes) he was diagnosed about 20 years ago it looks like gout but a blood test can tell

Anyway have been told bitter cherry capsules taken with water with 2 tablespoons of lime juice helps

Morganchick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Violent films, uncaring people,

Morganchick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Violent films, uncaring people,
I am having a problem getting my reply in........lol. This may not help but here goes. Many years ago I went on a high protein diet (it became the Atkins diet) and ended up not losing any weight but developed serious gout. After reading up a out high protein diets I found out that these diets can cause kidney problems and gout. I was then put on medication but after lowering my intake of protein I no longer suffer gout and am off the medication. Hope this helps.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where do you get the bitter cherry tablets? Holland and Barrett? Or boots? Thank you for the help :)