GP says I'm Cured!

Wirelad

Hi all,

Thought this story needed sharing as a similar thread appeared last week. I was diagnosed type 2 last December with 2 fasting blood tests of 7.5 and 8.3 and a HbA1C of 6.7

At my recent 6 monthly blood test the HBA1C came out at 29 (4.8%). I got a call from the GP surgery saying Dr wants me to have another test. This came back with the same result. Went to see GP today about something else and was also due to see DN straight after for my 6 month review. GP said that I have now "cured" my diabetes and am therefore no longer diabetic. Also threw in the fact that I no longer need eye tests or foot checks. I challenged this and stated that I didnt think diabetes could be cured. Oh yes it can she says, by losing weight and changing diet (I lost 3 stone mainly by following advice this forum rather than NHS nonsense).

Then straight to see DN who checks the updated records from GP and repeats the same line.....you are cured!! Oh and by the way you don't now get the flu jab you were going to get today!!

I am really confused. My thoughts are that I was probably pre diabetic when they diagnosed me last year and by losing weight and getting fit I have got things under control. Obviously if I dont maintain this I would see my levels back to diabetic levels in the future.

What concerns me however is they are quick to diagnose but seem equally quick to say I am now cured, and the cynic in me belives this is all to do with £££££.

I would appreciate comments/advice and am not stupid enough to think I am cured and will be visiting this forum just as often for the brilliant advice that is offered.

Thanks

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
First congrats on the hBA1c and welcome to the 4% club :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

All I can suggest is you insist on a GTT test. It may screw your levels for a few days as to make it accurate you'll need to eat a load (more than 150g) of carbs for at least 3 days prior to the test. If you then fail that they can't deny it. In any case having a sub 5% hBA1c doesn't cure you if you've lost beta cell function which is what tends to distinguish pre-diabetes from full T2. You beat me by 0.1% but I can still make my levels go stratospheric by eating the wrong stuff.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Wirelad said:
(I lost 3 stone mainly by following advice this forum rather than NHS nonsense)

Spill the beans Wirelad: what sort of diet have you been eating to achieve this fantastic result?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Congratulations on being successful in getting your blood sugars down to normal Wirelad, that's really good news and cause for celebration. However, as you rightly said, you'll need to maintain your diet so you don't slip back. As far as my knowledge goes, I'd say you've got your diabetes under control, but that's not the same thing as 'cured' unless your doctor knows something that we don't know. It'd be wonderful if there was a cure but I'm with you on the ££££££££s thing. It all smells a bit whiffy to me. I was under the impression that once we're diagnosed as having diabetes, that's it. It does seem as if your GP is in a bit of a hurry to save money by pronouncing you 'cured'. It would be interesting to see how he has registered your 'cure' in your health records.

But regardless of that, well done! :D

MaryJ

worrying that this is coming up again.

Agree with everything the others have said. You need to insist on a GTT and take on board what xyzzy has said re the carbs beforehand.

Let us know how you get on

Mary x

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're supposedly cured, then you should be able to eat "normally" again... I don't think this is the case at all. A simple DIY GTT will confirm this (there's a post about how to do it here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?p=14481#p14481).

What horrifies me about this is that the health team seem to believe that their dietary advice has cured you... so they'll carry on giving the same deadly dietary advice to everyone else in the belief that it works.

Wirelad

Thanks for the replies, I intend to book another appt with the GP that originally diagnosed me (he seems to know his stuff).

He will probably back up the other Dr but I will insist on a GTT and thanks for the advice re carbs beforehand.

Borofergie, nothing magical with the diet. Pretty much followed the advice on here. I cut out refined carbs - white bread, rice, pasta, cakes etc. No more crisps or biscuits. Ate more cheese, fish, eggs, nuts, all meats, vegetables etc. A cooked breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausages, tomatoes is now more of a regular occurence than a once a week treat in the past :D

Must admit, I upped the exercise and now run a couple of times a week and do some circuit training.

owain2

Isn't this yet another example of a GP (deified by many) being completely and utterly WRONG!

If a low HbA1C was proof that a cure had been effected then this forum must be full of ex-diabetic imposters :D Fortunately it sounds as though you know enough to not have faith in his pronouncement and tuck into a high carb blow-out in celebration!

Congratulations on the result though! Looking at what you're eating, low carbing wins again.

Owain.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Wirelad said:
Borofergie, nothing magical with the diet. Pretty much followed the advice on here. I cut out refined carbs - white bread, rice, pasta, cakes etc. No more crisps or biscuits. Ate more cheese, fish, eggs, nuts, all meats, vegetables etc. A cooked breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausages, tomatoes is now more of a regular occurence than a once a week treat in the past :D

Mark another one up to the low-carbers!

Great work fella!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Wirelad said:
Thanks for the replies, I intend to book another appt with the GP that originally diagnosed me (he seems to know his stuff).

He will probably back up the other Dr but I will insist on a GTT and thanks for the advice re carbs beforehand.

Must admit, I upped the exercise and now run a couple of times a week and do some circuit training.

Yaaaaayyy for you! :D

That's exactly what I eat but I've only lost half a stone in 3 months but in all fairness, I'd been low carbing for about a year before I was diagnosed because every time I ate carbs I felt so ill. But I didn't realise I was low carbing. And I'd already lost about 10lb before diagnosis, I just didn't notice I'd been losing weight. Wish I could lose more though and more quickly. But I'm only just starting to get back to exercising so still hoping.

Please make sure you tell your GP and DN what you're eating because so many low carbers are afraid of the backlash when they tell people they're eating LCHF, that they're afraid to tell their GP that they don't use the NHS diet. If we don't tell our GPs and risk the shaking head and the lecture, then the medical profession will continue to believe that the NHS diet is working and nothing will change.

I'm really chuffed about your success, it's great to hear such really positive success stories here because it certainly spurs me on and I'm sure others feel the same. But I hope you'll stick with the forum anyway. :D :thumbup:

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Great results!!

My doc says once Diabetic always Diabetic........ When I was diagnosed I was all over the shop everything was sky high: Came on here took the advice and Now everything is normal, when I had my last test the doc said if you would have come in now I would say that you are not diabetic, but do not let it fool you, I also have lost three stone and NOW if I am or If I am not I am sticking to this low carb diet take my metformin and simvastatin...and keep feeling great and have a treat now and again, because I am sure you could easily slip down again...

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
DavideB said:
Great results!!

My doc says once Diabetic always Diabetic........ When I was diagnosed I was all over the shop everything was sky high: Came on here took the advice and Now everything is normal, when I had my last test the doc said if you would have come in now I would say that you are not diabetic, but do not let it fool you, I also have lost three stone and NOW if I am or If I am not I am sticking to this low carb diet take my metformin and simvastatin...and keep feeling great and have a treat now and again, because I am sure you could easily slip down again...

Congratulations to you too David ... I love all these diabetes success stories ... they make me feel happy and positive and give me such incentive to keep going and sticking to what I know suits me best. I think your doctor is very wise in their comment about not letting low readings fool you and I think you're very wise too. You've done great! Keep doing great! :clap: :clap: :D

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read this post last night, but wanted to have a think before posting about why this disturbs me:

1) if the patient thinks they are 2cured2 then they could go for months, eating the wrong foods, and having high blood sugar levels, before having another HbA1c and being told it "has come back" It gives a false sense of security, and will cause untold damage. In my practice, we only get a HbA1c annually. (yes, I have written and fought, but that is the way it is). A long time to be uncontrolled :shock:

2) it is a way of reducing NHS costs, particularly when so many surgery's are now in private hands. No way for us "cured" ones to insist on getting the checks we need. Again, a time-bomb of ill health and suffering waiting to happen.

3) It artificially influences the figure of the diabetes epidemic, and bolsters up the food manufacturers stance of no food being bad for you.

4) It "proves" that all us fat, lazy type 2's had to do was stop stuffing ourselves with nasty fats and sweets and we are cured!!! It reinforces the media lies about Diabetics and diabetes.

I could go on, but had better stop now.

Its yet another situation where trouble is pushed down the line for the next government to deal with.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.
This thread has been returned for members to continue to discuss/debate.
It was moved out earlier as needed moderating.

Please be reassured if same poster attempts to upset again.
This 'will' be moderated appropiately...

Thanks Anna.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
anna29 said:
Hi All.
This thread has been returned for members to continue to discuss/debate.
It was moved out earlier as needed moderating.

Please be reassured if same poster attempts to upset again.
This 'will' be moderated appropiately...

Thanks Anna.

Actually I think many of the points the poster concerned was making were just getting "lost in translation" as English was obviously not his first language.

He was undoubtedly confused about T1 / T2 and how beta cells can't regenerate.

Apart from that with the conversations I was having with him later on in the thread he agreed he followed a low carb diet and that he exercised (yoga in his case) to get rid of the fat round his liver which seems emminently the right thing to do. In the same post he showed he had a good understanding of the difference between insulin resistance and beta cell loss and offered to show anyone his historic BG readings as proof he had gained control. He quite rightly corrected me when I suggested he may have just have been pre diabetic by pointing out he was diagnosed at a level of 80 mmol so far above the pre diabetic threshold.

Most importantly he later stated in a post back to me that he understood the confusion he had caused by claiming he was cured as opposed to being a controlled diabetic and I think in the end accepted he was just controlling his condition. What he specifically did say was he could not go back to eating a high carb diet or else his levels would rise again.

The regeneration of beta cell thing isn't as black and white as it seems. For example see http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111012140631.htm I am personally looking forward to the day that this can be made to work as I guess are millions of diabetics world wide.

Likewise in mice some progress has already been made. See for example http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2009/02/19/db08-1651.full.pdf It implies that in young mice you can regenerate beta cells.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Funny you should write this Steve, I was just wondering where the thread you are referring to had gone-I don't think it is this one?

I was a poster on the other one, by the guy in New Zealand and was a bit disturbed(and surprised) to seem some pretty unpleasant remarks aimed at his direction. I now wonder if I read it wrong?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
he regeneration of beta cell thing isn't as black and white as it seems. For example see http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 140631.htm I am personally looking forward to the day that this can be made to work as I guess are millions of diabetics world wide
You may be interested in this very simple video from the Endocrine society.
http://www.betacellsindiabetes.org/
There is far more on the website including a look at the stages of T2 and possibilities of beta cell regeneration.(not much about diet though)
http://www.betacellsindiabetes.org/betacell-science

Wirelad

Re: GP says I'm Cured!... update

Hi all,

I have now been back to my original GP to get some clarity over the "cured" issue.

He would not go as far as cured but preferred to say "resolved" and when I asked him what had been put on my records, he said resolved "and there is a code for that". He advised that I still need an annual blood test but do NOT need any of the other monitoring.

I asked about why no GTT at diagnosis and he said that was not necessary as the 2 fasting blood sugar readings of 8.3 and 7.8 together with HBA1C of 6.7% were in the range to diagnose type 2 at the time.

I hope this update is of use to you all. It is obvious to me that I need to continue keeping an eye on things and keep the weight off or I will return to diabetic levels.

Thanks