GP's to have to treat foreign/illegal immigrants

carophie04

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I could not believe it to see the front page news today that GPs are to be obliged to treat asylum seekers, overseas students and tourists coming for a holiday to England and that they will be entitled to the same NHS care as all other patients and can receive free blood tests, jabs and, in some cases free prescription drugs, all at the expense of the British taxpayer. How can it be that this can be allowed to happen when so many British taxpayers cannot get the tests and treatment they want and deserve and us T2 diabetics cannot even get our test strips on prescription! At the age of 73, having worked and paid into the NH Service all my life I am denied the supply of test strips to enable me to keep my diabetes under control whilst people who have never contributed to the system or dont live here can walk in and get everything handed to them on a plate. I cannot understand how any government of any party cannot legislate to prevent this scandalous situation. At nearly £30 for 50 strips I cannot afford to keep track of my BS readings and thus my health and wellbeing is deteriorating - and I normally have to wait around three weeks to get to see the DBN!

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If that is the case it sucks for sure. Meantime, whilst we seem to be unable to get our Politicians to understand that UK taxpayers really should take priority, take a look at the SD Codefree meter on the net that has considerably cheaper strips I believe.

Luckily for me I don't struggle to get strips as our surgery seem to be keen to support anybody that wants to sort their diabetes out, thankfully.

Ali