1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Grand National 2010

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by noblehead, Apr 7, 2010.

1. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Its the one and only time of year that I have a flutter on the horses. This year I am going for Nigel Twiston-Davis horse 'Irish Raptor' at 40/1, £5 each way and that's my lot!

Come on Irish Raptor................................................ :roll: :wink:

Nigel

2. Tara

Tara · Member

The national is probably one of the most difficult races to predict the winner of, but also one of the most popular betting races. I havent looked at the field yet but I'll probably have a few quid each way on something. Managed to pick the 4th home in the Irish national on easter monday at 16/1 but my mate just picked the winner out of thin air at 25/1 ! I do enjoy the racing though, even when I havent had a bet... although Cant believe the jumps season is almost over already, time is flying by.

3. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think I will have a flutter on Comply Or Die - He did ok for my hubby in 2008 - and it seems an apt title for us diabetics :lol: :lol:

My outsider is Mr Pointment - also seems like fate as I missed my diabetic clinic apt yesterday :shock: - have to wait a whole month now until next one - and they won't give results over the phone :evil: - hopefully I can get an appointment with nurse before that :roll:

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nigel

5. jopar

jopar · Well-Known Member

I have actually got a 100% betting sucess on my horse betting :mrgreen: I kid you not...

BUT

I've only ever placed one bet on a horse race... Grand National 1996 8)

The horse I betted on was 100-1 complete outsider called, 'greener on the other side of the fence' which seemed quite appt at the time as I hadn't long separated from my first husband after a not so good 11 year marriage...

I placed a 50p bet each way, as I had been talked out of placing a £1 bet (waste of money I was told etc) well it came in second and I got £36.50!

Mind you, I used to know a old chap who betted very small amounts, 10p perhaps 20p for a dead cert... He would often ask me when he was 'studying the form' in the paper which horse I reckoned would win out of the 2 or 3 he selected, I would always say, haven't got a glue about horse racing, but I like the sound of the name of that one.. So he would chose the opposite of what I said, 10p bet he lost everytime, and the one I chose won 8)

But I have never wanted to put another bet on a horse since..

6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Lady luck eh Jopar! :D

Its time to break with tradition and tell us the winner this Saturday............please! :cry:

Nigel

7. foxglove

foxglove Type 2 · Well-Known Member

AND I THINK IT SHOULD BE BANNED!

8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Irish Raptor......................................................... :roll: :( :cry:

Nigel

9. viv1969

viv1969 · Well-Known Member

Oh Dear :roll: :roll: :roll:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook