grazing

Dobbs

A friend of mine who is a sports physiotherapist, in his early 50s and in excellent shape (though with appalling taste in music :wink: ), swears by "grazing" - eating small meals or healthy snacks often throughout the day and almost never eating a full-sized, normal meal, much less a big meal. When I told him I was diabetic he argued I should do the same, as the effect on my blood sugar levels (assuming I eat the right kind of stuff in the first place) would be better. This seems, logically, to make sense. Anybody out there who knows more than I do about nutrition (i.e. probably everybody on this forum) have an opinion on this?

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Dobbs,
My 10yr old T1 persists on grazing often, with dyer results, usual high bs'. The thing is logically it makes sense, but in theory, it all adds up. We carb count and counter act with multiply injections for extra grazing, for us it doesn't really work. 4 injections a day (Levemir and Huamalog) is more than enough, but find for those grazing periods (and growing children would graze all day if allowed) it all adds up to more injections.Even if he tries to stay below 10g of carbs per snack, for us its just not worth it. Unless i send him to jog round the block every time he feels the urge :lol:
If anyone has the perfect grazing diet plan that works i'd love to here it,
A great thread Dobbs, it should set off a whole lot of debating,
Suzi x

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I thought grazing was the habit some people have of eating food whilst walking round shopping in a supermarket :lol:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Sid Bonkers said:
I thought grazing was the habit some people have of eating food whilst walking round shopping in a supermarket :lol:
I hope you put the wrappers through the checkout :roll:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Grazing on low carb foods is fine I should think even for a T1. I am T2 and during T1 husband's recent incarceration( in the Royal Berks Hospital with injured foot) I didn't have time for proper meals, with rushing to and from the Hospital on the bus and waliking the mile from the bus stop to the ward. I did most of my eating that way. Now he's home and I'm having to co-ordinate with him. Actually, I'm letting him prepare meals. It works out easier.

iHs

Ever since I became diabetic in 1965 I have always more or less 'grazed' - I have never been encouraged to try anything different. I feel sure that this is what has kept me all ok all these years :)

In 1965 I was stabilised with insulin using just one injection a day which released its action slowly over a 24hr period. All I had to do was to 'eat to its action' so eating small amounts of carb every 2-3hrs enabled me to be balanced. If I could go back and inject insulin just once a day again, I would like yesterday. The only thing I would do different now would be to test my bg with a meter instead of using Clinitest tabs or Clinistix.

The good thing about eating little and often is that you never feel hungry and also as long as you are not injecting mega amounts of insulin, you don't have to eat too much carb so you don't put on weight.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
I tried small and oftern about three months after i was found to be T2 Diabetic.
I find that I keep my numbers in the 5-6 range most of the time.
Graham1441 :twisted: :twisted:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can see that it could work though I eat 3 meals with very rarely anything in between and that works too.
Pre diabetes, on work days I often had a very early breakfast, tiny lunch (sometimes not at all) and relatively late dinner. I think thats quite a normal pattern, but not a very healthy one.

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
Oh dont get me wrong I`m not telling anyone what to do just how it seems to work for me.
It seemes that we are all diferant.
Graham1441

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
T1 grazing is fine, just make sure you don't stack your insulin too much which can be disastrous!

MaryChristine

I like the idea of grazing - I think it would be easier to balance food and physical activity - but think it would only work for me if I could plan exactly what I was going to eat each day, depending on how active I would be, and didn't exceed it, because it would be all too easy for me to "forget" what I had already consumed or to give myself over-generous portions. Also I prepare evening meals for other people and often have to fit in with their plans.

So I have a fairly substantial breakfast, usually porridge, lunch based on salad and raw vegetables/fruit with a small portion of protein and an evening meal based on cooked (steamed) and/or vegetables, again with a small amount of protein. The rest of the family get a larger protein portion plus potatoes, pasta or rice. If I eat between meals I try to have something that I would be eating anyway and reduce the next meal. I very rarely eat during the evening. So far this seems to work well for me.

Best wishes

MaryChristine

Graham1441

Dislikes
Stupid people.
The reason this works for me is that I`m a delivery driver and my day involves driving, not useing a lot there and then lifting a load of veg up a few flights of staires then back driving again so small and oftern with food snaks matches my work and energy use, and therefor my glucose levels.
Graham1441.