Green tea extract reducing need for insulin?

Lunar_Lapin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently started drinking several cups of green tea everyday. I really cannot stand the taste so decided to try some green tea extract with added vitamin tablets. I have noticed slightly increased energy (placebo effect, unsure?) decreased appetite and less bloating.

For the first week or so I was suffering what felt like constant hypos. The only factor that had changed was the green tea intake so I decided to decrease my evening lantus injection. I was taking 30 units every 24 hours and am now only taking 22. In addition to reducing the lantus my novorapid to carb ratio has gone from 1 unit to approx 6/7g to 1 to 15.

I am curious; has anyone else had any similar experiences? I had read somewhere that Camellia sinensis can increase insulin sensitivity and lower blood sugar but I'm always fairly sceptical when hear about things like this!

Ellie

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya I like green tea so would be tempted to see what others say..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Really not sure if Green Tea Extract would have this effect, but green tea (much like other tea's) has many health benefits due to the antioxidants it contains.

I drink 2 cups every day, green tea can be an acquired taste, if you buy the cheap brands like Clipper they can taste like dish water, we get our tea from Holland & Barrett and the brand name is Double Dragon, it's a excellent quality tea but is a little pricey at nearly £2 for a box of 20.

H&B also do their own green tea which contains lemongrass, that is nice too for those who want a sweeter taste.

jamesfitz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had green tea for the first time this week and noticed i had increased energy straight away. Not too sure about it affecting my inaulin requirements.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I drank 2 cups today and oddly enough my levels went up, and stuck at 13 !

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's because green tea contains catechins which is a flavanoid, high in antioxidants and I believe this reduces insulin resistence.