Gritty Eye

CathyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I went to the opticians I was told that I have a gritty eye and was offered eye drops to help if I felt I needed them. The only problem I have noticed with my eye is that it is a bit blurred when i first wake up but that does clear after a few minutes. Has anyone heard of this and is this a precursor to any eye related complication of diabetes

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sounds like a condition called Dry Eye, I would go to your Dr's and see if they can prescribe something more suitable to take than what your Optician has given you, as long as you attend the Retinal Screening Service there shouldn't be any concerns.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I went to the opticians I was told that I have a gritty eye and was offered eye drops to help if I felt I needed them. The only problem I have noticed with my eye is that it is a bit blurred when i first wake up but that does clear after a few minutes. Has anyone heard of this and is this a precursor to any eye related complication of diabetes

I have had this for several years. Eyes are very dry when I wake up, and feel uncomfortable until I use eye drops. Prescribed Hypromellose drops. Think it is mainly water. Was given Lacrilube ointment at first, but that was very greasy and blurred my vision, as well as bits of fluff and fibres from bed linen sticking to it. The Hypromellose drops I keep by the bed, and use as soon as I wake up. No need for them at any other time of day.

I was first diagnosed T2 almost 10 years ago. BG levels have been in non-diabetic range for 3 years now. Never had any complications and retina screenings have always been fine.