Grrrr, just as things were getting better

bennyg70

Dislikes
CHEESE!!!
Retinopathy...

Ive always had minor changes possibly backroung retinopathy, but non of my doctors have ever labelled it that. I was been kept under tight supervision by doctors a couple of years a go, checks every 2 months, however the problems seemed to go away / reverse and they put me back onto yearly checks.

So I went on Wednesday and the eye doctor lady seemed to spend an age looking at my right eye, I hate that, they stay quiet and you know somethings wrong. And then she announced that I have some new vessels in my right eye and I will possibly need laser from the hospital. So I'm expecting a call in from the hospital now for treatment (I think).

In recent months Ive really got a handle on my bloods, and its only the last week its been brought to my attention that this can be detremental to the retinopathy. grrrr. My sight dosnt seem effected (No worse than it always has been) Ive no dark spots, missing vision, bleedy areas, pain or anything like that, so would this be classed as the early stages of advanced retinopathy? How likely is laser to succeed in halting this. As you can imagine Im rather scared.

Snodger

Similar thing happened to me. I went into total meltdown. Kind people on this forum put me back together! Turns out things were nothing like as bad as I'd feared.

First thing to remember is that on the whole they err on the side of caution. If they see anything new they tend to say things that sound as if they are telling you to buy a white stick and a guide dog, but actually they are just being careful.
Second thing to remember is that yes, laser is much more effective than it used to be, even if you have to have it, and the fact that you don't have any vision changes yet means that even the worst case scenario is pretty hopeful, because it's been caught very early. (and maybe it's not anything to worry about, just something to keep an eye on - which you are doing - so you're ok).

Was it an eye doc you'd had before? I find there can be quite a difference between those who've seen a lot of eyes and those who are nervous about missing something.

bennyg70

Dislikes
CHEESE!!!
I hope so, Its my worst worst fear losing my eye sight.

It was a new doctor to me, ive been to a lot of different ones due to moving around so much.

Im remaining as positive as possible and Im looking forward to getting in for the referal and getting the ball rolling. Its the waiting around I hate!!

Thanks for the post, keep your fingers crossed for me :)

bennyg70

Dislikes
CHEESE!!!
Thanks Noblehead :)

The eye doctor told me that it was the right eye that had these vessels, but I have read elsewhere its usual for both to suffer..? How do peoples experiences of this pan out?

Im hoping if the worst came to the worst, I could live with one good eye!

bennyg70

Dislikes
CHEESE!!!
And Kt, could you tell me more of your treated Proliferative retinopathy, how you were diagnosed, treated, and how your doing now?

Hope you dont mind me asking :)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Benny!

Just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about the retinopathy after all the hard work you've been putting in recently. I hope you get it sorted quickly and that it's not as bad as you were worrying. I think it's the complication that scares many of us the most. It's certainly my biggest fear.

Smidge