grrrr pre and post bfast bgs whats yours.what you eaten

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Ok I am usually verry low to zero carb which means usually after breakfast I either dont go up by much or even lower as take meds with meal. I am however wanting to start re introducing a few more carbs into my diet as it is so confined in variety and getting very boring. So this morning I had 2 x burgen toast ( the small half size loaf) and 2table spoons beans and some bacon. Oh and 2 metformin. My bgs this morning was arround 7.5 but that was 2.5 hours before I ate and wanting to conserve strips I decided to forgo pre bfast test and besides I would have normally come down to arround or just below 7 by then . I also thought that because I had done so well getting bgs down that I shouldnt realy see much diffrence. I was wrong it was my highest reading for over a week and that one was when I was feeling down si ate somthing I shouldn't. So bareing in mind the burgen was the half loaf and low carb compaired to other breads and also considerd gower gi than most breads . My bgs was 8.9 which I realise isnt high in the grand sceem or things but far higher than I or my dr want me to be (due to kidney damage). I will have to test now aswell to see how long it takes to return to normal (well normal for me). I not happy especially as I have realy missed beans on toast :cry: . So whatwhere your readings this morning and what did you eat.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi James !

It's the Burgen bread that did it I reckon as 2 slices of that is around 24gs of carbs in one go so perhaps swapping Burgen for the Livlife seriously seeded bread at 3.8gs a slice would be much better if you want some toast with breakfast.

I had a late one last night so I haven't had brekkie yet :oops: I'm currently at 5.2 mmol/s so I'll post my after Brunch reading later.

Best

Paul

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, as you have been low to zero carbing your current meds work for that. Changing what you eat to re~introduce done/more carbs would also need a change in meds. I realise some type 2s can control levels through diet and excercise, and also improve sensitivity with weight loss but not always the case, as the old saying goes everyones different.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Whompa,
Problem is: what caused the rise, you had Burgen AND beans (probably ain't gonna be the bacon unless cured in sugar or the metfartin :lol: ) so we need to introduce foods one at a time (try one slice of Burgen at first, then beans at another meal)
personally think it was likely the beans as commercial baked beans are very sugary!
Good luck :thumbup:

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hey whompa, i agree that it prob was the beans. I came back to uk wed eve n had a right hankering for heinz spaghetti on toast (we dont get tin of spaghetti in italy). Afterwards my bg was 242 and it was only then i looked at the can n saw it contained. Sugar n glucose/fructose syrup....sigh, wont have that again :-(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Appreciate you have to watch your protein intake if you have kidney problems Whompa, why not do as FC suggests and have one slice of toast tomorrow and perhaps a spoonful less of the beans, to make up for it grill some mushrooms :thumbup:

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
The burgen as it is the half size if I remember rightly was 8 grms per silce. And yes I know better than beans on toast but oh how I have missed it. As for bgs now at 3h 10min they have come back down to 7.6 . I have however been out on a 2 hour patroll so with that and usuall diet pluss metformin I would expect to be between 6.5 to 6.9 maybe a little either way but probably leaning towards lower. I realise I'm not even 2 months into it and for that amount of time have superb control. But its stuff like this that just throw me a little. Oh well onwards and downwards lol. Still need to figure a better diet though. Also my dn said that I was on the highest amount for met she either would or could put me on . That being said I am struggling whith the amount now as quite often I just feel yuck and im sure it the pills just not quite sure which ones lol

B

badcat

What I'd take from those readings is that the breakfast you had puts your BM's up by around 3 points so is fine to eat if your per meal BM is under 5.5. If the premeal is higher then you need to decrease the carbs by reducing the bread /beans
This morning my per breakfast reading was 6.6 so I had a serving of some left over bacon & avocado salad I made for tea yesterday (4.2g carbs) and had lite soya milk coffee rather than tea with normal milk to keep carbs down ( 0.5g rather than 1.7g)
2 hours post breakfast BM's had barely moved ( I take Gliclizide too)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
With respect to noblehead, try the toast with NO beans (eliminate the beans), by all means try the mushrooms, so that you can check the effect :thumbup:
I am CKD so understand the protein problem.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Must admit I realy realy enjoyed the beans . But not satisfied whith the bgs so will have to find alternative . But to be fair if I had not forgoten to pick egges up from my mums I would have been having scrambled eggs ( mum has livery farm and keeps chickens aswell best eggs in the world down side it I can no longer stand to eat supermarket eggs) I do however love mushrooms . There is a way forward out there it just finding it

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Just tested again 4h 25 min after bfast and now giong to eat meat only dinner ( have to go out shortly on 4 h patrol) and its down to 6.5 I just dont get how it can come down so fast (I'm not complaining I just dont get it)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When Steffansson and Anderson completed their year on an all meat diet they had a glucose tolerance test. The results for both men were abnormally high. After a few weeks on a 'normal' mixed diet they did another test and this time produced normal, non diabetic results.
If you have been eating very little carbohydrate for a while then whatever carbs you reintroduce may also produce an elevated result. This glucose intolerance following a low carb diet is a known phenomenon and indeed is the reason why people taking a glucose tolerance test should eat at least 150g carb for at least 3 days before the test.
(I'll stop there, the whys and wherefores are too difficult/ controversial for a peaceful Sunday afternoon !)

Change your diet gradually but don't make big assumptions from the results of one meal.

However, I agree about the sauce on baked beans being very sweet.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Now 2hours after and no carb meal and 1 metformin im at 6 which is good infsct one of my lowest results :thumbup: