GTT result at diagnosis

laysan

Hello all
I am newly diagnosed with type 2 and had a 2 hr GTT result of 17.5. My fasting glucose was normal. I was hoping people would share with me their GTT test results at their time of diagnosis and whether they needed to go on medication or not at that point. I realise everyone is different, but it would help me to know others' experiences. Many thanks!!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I am one o the MANY people who has never had an OGTT.
I don't even know what my BGs were at diagnosis, since I was in hospital at the time and no-one in a hospital environment ever thinks that the patient might like to know what's going on.

dragongirl

I feel deprived – I didn't get one either, when I was recently diagnosed. Just sugar in urine followed by fasting BS of 8.3 and a1c of 8.2. What did I miss??? Hopefully others will be along who *did* have one to compare with yours. Welcome anyway! You'll find everyone is really helpful and knows lots of useful stuff.

joneswood

I am the same the only information I had was that my blood glucose was 40.2 which caused a lot of consternation at the hospital. I was kept in the emergency assessment unit for three days having tests. I'm on insulin glargine and now feeling a lot better.

Regards

Clive

Pinnig

Hi laysan

Happy to share...

My GTT results on diagnosis were 12.2 fasting and 17.8 after 2 hours. I had an HbA1c done that day too and it came back at 8.5. That was two months ago.

I have a fantastic practice nurse who has involved me in the decision making process over whether to prescribe medication or not. We decided that I would give diet and exercise a go and see what I could achieve via that route. I had another HbA1c last week and have managed to reduce it to 7.2. I see the nurse again next month so that we can discuss that result and again review whether I can manage through diet alone. I hope that is the case. I have changed my diet dramatically, become much more active and feel much better for it.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
I was diagnosed on 2 fasting readings, 10 and 11 on subsequent days. Had a GTT a month or so later and it was 16.5. I was put on metformin x 1 first of all, then moved to 2 per day and now just been put on 3 per day today as fasting levels starting to rise again.

They didn't go down route of diet and exercise as had already changed to healthier diet to reduce cholesterol.

Hope the info helps.

Chris J :D

willogs

my GTT (2 years ago) at diagnosis was 17, I was pregnant at the time and put straight onto insulin, and have been on it ever since. I had a test done after having my baby which showed type 1, can't remember what it was though.