1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Guardian article claiming blow to low carb diets criticised by healthcare professionals

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by DCUK NewsBot, Jan 12, 2019.

1. DCUK NewsBot

DCUK NewsBot · Well-Known Member

An article in The Guardian claiming a "blow to low carb diets" has received criticism from healthcare professionals. The Guardian's write-up of a study comparing the quality of carbohydrates, and claiming we all need to eat more dietary fibre, said the findings were "good news - but incompatible with fashionable low carb diets". Dr Aseem Malhotra, a leading cardiologist, author of The Pioppi Diet and co-founder of Action Sugar, criticised the "agenda driven, not scientific" narrative of the article, and said "the truth will out eventually". Dr Malhotra has also asked The Guardian and the BBC for "immediate corrections that a low fibre diet does not equal a low carbohydrate diet". The study, led by Professor Jim Mann team at the University of Otago in New Zealand, sought to determine an evidence base for recommended intake of dietary fibre. They conducted a series of review of studies between April 2017 and February 28, investigating carbohydrate quality and disease incidence, risk and mortality. Their results indicated that "high intakes of dietary fibre and whole grains were complementary" and that not consuming enough healthy dietary fibre could raise disease risk. The important element of The Guardian's write-up is the claim that the findings were somehow a "blow to low carb", but the researchers highlighted that it is the quality of carbohydrate rather than the quantity which could determine major health outcomes. In fact, a diet low in carbs and a diet high in fibre are not mutually exclusive. Whole grains are by no means the only source of dietary fibre. Eating low carb enables dietary fibre to be consumed from a range of sources, particularly from non-starchy vegetables such as spinach, kale and cabbage. Lou Walker, ambassador of the Public Health Collaboration, responded to The Guardian’s article by writing: "I eat very low carb, high fat and haven't had a 'healthy' whole grain in four years. My gut is in fine fettle and cardiometabolic markers are tip top. […] there's oodles of fibre in veg, nuts &seeds." Benedict Jephcote, Editor of Diabetes.co.uk, said: "Eating whole grains is a pattern associated with people living healthier lifestyles, and so it stands to reason that higher intake of grains would be associated with lower disease risks than people having refined grains. This does not rule low carb out from being associated with lower disease risks too. "Both modes of eating typically involve consuming fewer refined grains, processed foods and sugary products, and both modes are likely to be healthier than average lifestyles." The study results have been published in The Lancet.

Continue reading...

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think papers should be sued for making unsupported health statements and spreading confusing or potentially misleading information. Or fined by the NHS, if it had the gumption.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

I'm not sure why the NHS should be responsible for what is reported in the Guardian.
    The fault here lies squarely with the vested interests of the parties involved in producing and reporting of 'news' like this.
    I have not parted with cash for a newspaper since I was in my twenties, back then I had a sudden realisation that the media was 99% opinion and 1% fact (The 1% being the date on the front page and possibly the weather forcast).

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Scrub the weather forecast from your list. When have you known that to be correct? :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've not been a newspaper fan for many years either...

At the risk of of being considered rather vulgar, my take:
    (for me) more fibre consumption on LCHF = Guardian article = load of poop

Robbity

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I'd like to see research into grain effects on insulin production. Til then I'm happy to lowish carb to keep my 300 units need down.
    The proof is in the eating.

7. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The best section of any newspaper is usually the comics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Even foreign newspapers make things up. One stated I was barren. Nope, definitely not. Ha ha
    They get paid for their stories. They are all storytellers. Even the major ones. In fact especially the major ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

It's the media, sensationalism sells.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook