Gullibility

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Fresh from my Butter thread, a follow on thought...... My work colleagues used to say I always thought the best of people, always gave everyone the benefit of the doubt, even when evidence indicated otherwise, so I guess I was a bit of a soft touch, gullible? I'm getting on now and with age has come cynicism,... Is that better?
How much of what you come across through adverts, research etc, even what you read online, do you believe?
Gotta go doggie walking now, so back later to read how many cynics there are here, lol

Reactions: 2 people

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
I view everything regarding politics and foreign policies that is presented to us via main stream media as propaganda. I do not trust the slime that oozes out of my TV set.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tend to be extremely cynical with regards to all things politics, marketing

I prefer to be trusting and believe the best of people I have personal interaction with. I do not think this makes me gullible or naive. I just find that when you treat people with kindness and respect they tend to reciprocate.

Reactions: 9 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Cynicism is okay until you become super paranoid :watching:

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I prefer to be trusting and believe the best of people I have personal interaction with. I do not think this makes me gullible or naive. I just find that when you treat people with kindness and respect they tend to reciprocate.

Likewise Pavlosn, always better to see the good in people until you know otherwise :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
"One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" ! There's always 2 sides to everything ! The one they tell you to believe, and the truth :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Somebody paid to have every advert transmitted and I have to judge whether they did that out of altruism or a desire for profit. Politicians have their speeches written for them and tend to toe a party line or else a new speech writer is sought.

...........and then there's the finance industry.

Nurse .........nurse ...........where are you, I need you.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Beachbag

I am getting more cynical with age...or maybe that should read more cynical with wisdom and experience :p When I can't trust my dietician, it makes me wonder who I can trust. Being bombarded with spam phone calls and emails every day at work doesn't help. There are some right weirdos and badduns out there. And when I see trolls on a diabetes forum, it makes me wonder if anything is sacred these days.

I think you're nice though so there is some hope for me! :happy:

A

Avocado Sevenfold

is there an actual definition of a troll?
Dunno Andy, but I saw a post the other day in which someone posted something gynecological after one of your posts. A newbie member. I thought that was a bit trolly. Refreshed and it was gone.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always look for the best in people but look for scams in adverts etc as in if it looks too good to be true then it usually is
CAROL

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I'm very cynical-a real Victor Meldrew type Curmudgeon "I don't believe it!!" which is a curse at times but has sometimes proved useful in life.:)

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I think especially with online stuff it's a generational thing with most young people being far less gullible than older ones. I've spent all my adult life working with computers and do everything I can online so I guess I have a bit of an advantage. There are simple rules that most children and teenagers nowadays take for granted. The first rule is never reveal any personal information about yourself to anyone who hasn't given you cast iron evidence that they aren't the figment of someone else's warped mind.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
is there an actual definition of a troll?

Andy....

"Troll"
One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument.
There is one answer that stops a troll dead in its ("its".... used intentionally) track, but it takes everyone to follow suit.

The best answer to a Troll.... is No Answer.
Works 100% every time, providing everyone can contain themselves.

willie.

Reactions: 10 people
K

Kat100

Caution and wiser, think they both come with age, I to used to see the best in everyone, not anymore though.....tc Kat x

Reactions: 7 people