Gum disease

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all.

Just got back from a dentist app intent where she told me that I have Peridontitis? Not sure of the spelling. Anyway, been in tears as I know my blood sugar control had not helped matters. Im currently on 4 X glucoside a day and still waking on between 14-17 and post meals are higher than that even!!! Question I have is if I beg my doctor to go on insulin will she have to consider it? or will she be able to point blank refuse :( I feel now that insulin is the only way. Metformin didn't work as she believes I'm not producing enough insulin and the gliclazide obviously isn't working either...not even had a sniff of a hypo on them can anyone advise me?

Reactions: 3 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Jazz01,
I too have suffered with problems from my gums due to my T2 diabetes. I honestly never realised that high BS affected the teeth and gums as well - so like you it was a major shock to me. I really dont know if the Dr will let you go on insulin if you ask but I assume that if you tell your dr you are struggling to control your diabetes with the medication and diet you are on, she/he might consider it.

But are you sure that insulin is the way you want to go? Going on insulin means you will have to declare your diabetes to the DVLA etc and this can affect your car insurance, travel insurance etc. What about trying to lower your carbs instead for a period of time? This helped me to manage my BS levels and although I cannot undo all the damage I have done to my teeth, I now no longer have any major problems. All this was achieved in a very short time.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried low carb. The only way I get any kind of decent reading is if I have zero carbs :(

Reactions: 2 people

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't feel like I have any choice now tbh. I just feel lost :(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you mean

Zero carb as in no bread, rice, pasta etc.

Or zero carb as in a 100% fat diet? (Because there are carbs in all fruit and veg, and even protein foods)

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes sorry I mean no pasta rice potatoes bread :( nothing like that x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes sorry I mean no pasta rice potatoes bread :( nothing like that x

Ah. Yes, works for me too.
I would MUCH rather eat like this (usually less than 50g carbs a day) than contemplate insulin.

Reactions: 7 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i found out that i,m also having trouble with my gums.
my dentist even said 2 years ago, was i diabetic

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While not an answer to high blood sugar, I would recommend salt water as a mouth wash, a good shake of salt in warm water, stir well and rinse round after brushing your teeth. Far cheaper and seems to be just as good as most over the counter mouth washes.

If you want over the counter ones (salt water does taste terrible) then my dentist recommended Corsadyl, apparantly it contains ingredients not found in most others, might be worth checking if your own dentist says the same.

Hope your gums heal up well and your BS gets sorted.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ally. What has your dentist recommended as treatment?

Thank you Ruth x

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
@Jaxx01 my dentist hasn,t recommended anything yet as he is keeping an eye on my gums

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aww ok. I left mine too long...she said I've left it too late :( I may well lose the teeth at the bottom and have to have falsies at 34 :( gutted doesn't even begin to explain it x

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I REALLY feel for you Jaxx. Whatever the outcome, I wish you the very very best ....

Mike

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Start taking extra care now, its never too late to minimise the damage and hopefully you can keep as many teeth as possible as long as possible.

Good luck

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I totally agree with what @Ruth B said. It would be much better to try and limit the damage now, than to sit back and accept loosing your teeth. This should be all the motivation you need to take control of your health and welbeing. Having implants or false teeth is expensive, changing your diet is relatively cheap in comparison.

Reactions: 6 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, as Ruth B says Corsodyl is excellent stuff. I have been on insulin since July '14 and its the best thing that happened for me. No harm in discussing it further with your GP

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Yes, as Ruth B says Corsodyl is excellent stuff. I have been on insulin since July '14 and its the best thing that happened for me. No harm in discussing it further with your GP
Agree with Pav, insulin is better for me. Btw my dentist told me prolonged use of Corsodyl can stain your teeth (the chlorhexidene version).

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got my hba1c results 10.9% :( My doctor can't see me until the 2nd Feb though :( dreading what she will say

Caramama4

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While not an answer to high blood sugar, I would recommend salt water as a mouth wash, a good shake of salt in warm water, stir well and rinse round after brushing your teeth. Far cheaper and seems to be just as good as most over the counter mouth washes.

If you want over the counter ones (salt water does taste terrible) then my dentist recommended Corsadyl, apparantly it contains ingredients not found in most others, might be worth checking if your own dentist says the same.

Hope your gums heal up well and your BS gets sorted.

Interesting, my dentist advised to avoid Corsodyl and when I used another brand I ended up with oral thrush because it kills the bacteria which keep thrush at bay. Nystat hasn't cleared it up and I am hoping my GP can prescribe something stronger.