1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gyms request G.P. Involvement.

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by catherinecherub, Feb 19, 2012.

1. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

I seem to remember about a member asking about a Gym requiring proof from their G.P. that they were suitable to join a Gym because of their diabetes.
    This may go some way to explaining why G.P.'s are reluctant to do so.
    http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/newsarticle ... cise-notes

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

From a gp's perspective you can see why they'd be reluctant to sign these forms.

3. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

Interesting the oppposing opinion from the private GP.
    It's totally crazy here, you have to, by law, have in date (ie within 12 months) docs certificates for every single sport and some have to have specific wording so running races, including fun/charity runs needsa letter saying saying the person can run 'en competition', a certificate that covers a step class may not cover using weights in the gym. It applies to all ages, so for Sat morning football, and karate lessons or a session on the climbing wall you need a cert. I even had to have one to join the walking club, though they did accept my running one (don't tell them we 'doctored' the date on the computer.)
    I know of one local fun run in August that has received some letters from interestingly named Aussie doctors written under the influence of a lot of local red :lol: . (don't try this for a major event, they're more proactive with checks)
    I think it provides a nice little earner for the GPs in October when all the clubs go back. My own doctor insists I have a stress test every couple of years as a condition of signing mine.(that's 80€ to the cardiologist)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook