Had a Bit of a Bad Time

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Normally, I come home from work to change and go to the gym. Last Thursday I felt really tired after work, lay down and slept for an hour. That night, I went to go to bed in the evening and got a thunderclap headache while I was getting ready. This was accompanied by blurred vision and nausia. BM was up at around 9, which is quite high for me. The headache persisted all night, so I called the doctor in the morning and made an appointment. My blood sugar levels were back to normal by this time.

A doctor called me back five minutes later, went over the symptoms that I spoke about above and sent an ambulance out for me. Within no time at all I was in hospital. The did some tests, took loads of blood and kept an eye on my vitals (all of which were fine, resting heart rate was around 50 and blood pressure was around 120/70). Eventually, later on that day I was sent for a CT scan as they were worried that I had bled in the brain. I thought I would have been home by lunch time. It was 9pm before they came back to tell me that my scan was clear but that they wanted to keep me in until Monday until they did a lumber puncture.

Not realising what this was, I agreed. Spent a miserable night in the hospital. The next day a different doctor came along to do the procedure. When he explained what this was, and was getting ready to start I kind freaked out and would not let him do it. at 5pm that night I signed myself out AMA.

I know that was probably silly, but I honestly could not stand another minute in the hospital. I know that was probably silly, but I felt that I was getting no treatment at all (yes, I turned down the procedure) that I could not give myself back home. I can check my own blood pressure, pulse and blood glucose levels myself. I can give myself paracetamol and I can feed myself a lot better (I lost 4 pounds the short time I was in). I had felt fine for ages.

Does signing myself out AMA mean that the NHS has washed their hands of the issue now, or should I expect to hear back from my doctor? I'm still feeling fine, but last night went to the gym for the first time since and really struggled. Today I'm back to work and feeling very tired again.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Fencer

Poor you! what a dreadful time! I don't think they'll wash their hands of you, but they won't be very pleased with you! If I was you I'd make an appointment to see your GP, explain what happened and why you freaked out, and discuss the whole problem with him. Ask what all the hospital tests were for, and get him to explain the results. What was he suspicious of, that he called an ambulance for you in the first place?

It might not be serious, but then again it might. You can't afford to ignore it, anyway. You can sort things out much better if you're coming from a position of knowledge, so you can co-operate better.

I hope you get things sorted very quickly and feel better soon.

Viv 8)

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
viviennem said:
Hi Fencer

Poor you! what a dreadful time! I don't think they'll wash their hands of you, but they won't be very pleased with you! If I was you I'd make an appointment to see your GP, explain what happened and why you freaked out, and discuss the whole problem with him. Ask what all the hospital tests were for, and get him to explain the results. What was he suspicious of, that he called an ambulance for you in the first place?

It might not be serious, but then again it might. You can't afford to ignore it, anyway. You can sort things out much better if you're coming from a position of knowledge, so you can co-operate better.

I hope you get things sorted very quickly and feel better soon.

Viv 8)

They were worried that there would have been some bleeding from my brain into the fluid that surrounds it. The CT scan was clear of this, but then if it was a small bleed it would not have been picked up by the CT scan.

Do you think that the hospital would have sent my results to my GP? They did not give me any discharge papers due to me signing myself out.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Hi Fencer

I totally agree with advice our Viv has given you regarding the GP. Look, the thing is that you are human, you freaked out and felt the need to leave urgently-it happens and you certainly won't be the first person that has taken off at the prospect of a lumbar puncture.

The only way you will know for sure if your GP has been given info about your admission is to go and see him/her. Try not to get too stressed about it but it is important that you go.

I have had countless admissions to hospital with my asthma, have discharged myself AMA on many occasions because I also get extremely panicky. I actually tried to discharge myself from ITU two days after coming off life support-think that one broke a new record but hubby took my clothes so I couldn't escape.

Go see your GP..sure it won't be as bad as you think. Let us know how you get on. :)

viv1969

A lumbar puncture, although not particularly a pleasant procedure, is often the easiest, and sometimes the ONLY way to diagnose some conditions.

I wouldn't expect either the hospital or the GP to chase you following an AMA discharge, but to have been carrying out the diagnostic procedures that they were (and fairly quickly too), they may well have already had a shortlist of possible conditions that they were considering.

You really do need to contact them and continue with the investigations. I know we all tend to [word removed] of the NHS, but how can they do anything if you won't give them a chance?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Fencer,

Obviously it wasn't the right thing to do as you now realise but I do understand how you must have felt at the time to take this action.

I would go back and see your gp and see if the hospital has wrote to them, your gp can always write to the hospital and ask for you to be seen again......it's highly unlikely that they'll refuse and you can always choose to be seen at a different hospital if you feel uncomfortable going back to where you were admitted.

Good luck and hope your health improves! :)

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Thanks all for the advice, it is appreciated. I''ll give my GP surgery a ring in the morning.