Had enough!

leewils001

Hey guys im new on here but just wanted to see if anyone feels the same as me at the moment.

Im 28 and my blood pressure is a bit high and there was some protein in my urine, i never moaned about being diabetic and felt ok with having diabetes but now it seems as im getting older problems might start to appear. Everything else is good with my health, diets good, i exercise and sugars are god too.

How is everyone else's diabetes and how do you feel with having it?

Ive had it since i was 15 so 13 years and now just feel p***ed off with it. :( :x

Prabin

wow... im 15 and i just had diabetes... i had it for a few months and i aint liking it... my sugar levels are terrrible even if i try to control it..

leewils001

You'll be fine, you will get used to it and it will fall into place. Everyone is different so don't worry about years down the line but obv look after yourself correctly.

HJM1966

I'm sorry about your news Leewils001. It's difficult, isn't it? The last thing any of us want to do is scare those who have recently been diagnosed. Last month I went for my a routine eye test - really wanting to try contact lenses again if truth be told - when I was told I have the beginnings of a 'diabetes related cataract'. Excellent! Angry, depressed, **** condition!!! I was diagnosed when I was 16 - I'm now 42, I still hate it and all it entails - but things could be so much worse.....keep strong Leewils001 x

howie

yeah defo had enough and i'm only 4 months in.

you guys always maintained tight control?

howie

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Nope. I'm human, not a machine.
But the thing is, i always try. It's the best you can do.

I don't aslways succeed, but i always try to find out why.
It might have been the heat, i might have not gone for that walk i meant to....
My hba1c is pretty much always good. i.e <7...

We all have our ups and downs. But what's the alternative? We have it. Diabnetes isn't going away. So i'm going to take control of it and make it an irritation rather than a problem.

Mostly, i've succeeded with that. Having diabetes sucks. But we either live and deal with it, or don't.

Prabin

kl... but i still dont understand how i even got it in the first place. im not the sugary type at all. i only eat chocolate at rare occasions and i get diabebte T_T... thats sad

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Prabin
Sugar doesn't cause Diabetes especially NOT T1
No-one knows precisely what causes T1, but an auto immune condition or a virus or a combination of the two seems likely.
T2 is linked to overweight and so it's become fashionable to blame T2s for their condition. Which I as a T2 don't agree with. T1 however isn't predictable and probably not preventable and isn't linked to liking sugar
Hana

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
(written before Hanas reply)
Prabin,
You did nothing to cause your diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is not caused by eating the wrong foods nor too much sugar, nor anything you or your parents did. In most cases it is thought to be caused by an auto-immune response, in other words your own body has created antibodies that fight and destroy your pancreatic cells (beta cells). It might have be triggered by a viral or other infection, but there are several other things suggested as trigger factors.
Its not great getting it but take a bit of time to learn to control it, rather than it controlling you Then you'll find that you should be able to do anything you want to. (except for a very few careers)

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Things get a bit easier when you're passed puberty and hormones begin to behave a bit more predictably, although females (and anyone who deals with females) may notice some patterns of blood sugar control around menstrual cycles and pregnancy.
I didn't have diabetes as a teenager (developed type 1 aged 30 years, female), but one of the biggest influences on my adaption to my situation was memory of an 18 year old boy who'd been in my group on an expedition to Greenland, only a couple of years after diagnosis - I remember thinking "if M could do it, so can I", and many years later, had the chance to thank him personally - and we both wondered how he did it, on bimodal insulin!

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
At the moment it seems like you're born with a genetic predisposition to it...
About 50% of identical twins get it when the other one does, but there has to be a trigger.
I.e you get a cold / flu etc.
I'm 24 years old. I have a 18m/o daughter (pregnancy is difficult lol), I've worked as a ski instructor, been heli-skiing, I regularly sled my dog, I read a lot of books especially Terry Pratchett and Dan Abnett.
Why isn't really important to me, it'd be great if we knew it, then we could stop other people getting it. But Why I got it, not so important. I have it. Nothing I can do about that.
The best I can do is to live my life as long and as happy as I can.

At 15, it's not expected that you can get tight control. No offense, but your body is going completely and utterly haywire with hormones.
They all play a part in insulin, and you're not supposed to be able to always account for everything.
In a few years, things will settle down and you'll find it an awful lot easier to control.
But until then, do the best you can.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I quite agree with Celtic Piskie - I haven't asked "why me?" because it won't change the fact that I have diabetes, treated with insulin, diagnosed when a fit active female (cycling, nordic skiing, hill walking etc, have added orienteering and adventure racing since diagnosis, as AR had barely started 14 years ago) aged 30 years - hence I'm not even sure exactly what type of diabetes I have.
Also agree with the sentiment "do the best you can, rather than aim for perfection" - and don't let diabetes stop you from any more than the absolutes eg you can't join armed forces or drive buses or professionally SCUBA dive, so don't set yourself up for a fall, unless the rules change, but you can drive lots of otehr vehicles, SCUBA dive as an amateur, work with army cadets etc.

lilibet

Think we all feel like that

How can we not? Being diabetic is like having a part time job! I think folks on insulin should get the Nobel prize for science :lol:

Im only just past my 1st year and the thought of another 40 doesnt please me (if you know what I mean) but equally the thought of NOT getting another 40 makes me anxious too!

I think all we can do, is our best. Learn what best for you, and take as best control as you can, whilst trying to get on with life/

I no longer wish for a cure daily, but I cant say that it doesnt still pop into my mind :roll:

Becca

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

I've only been diagnosed for about three months now, after about nine months of weight loss, exhaustion, depression etc etc. Like a couple of others here, I was a 'late developer'! 31 when I went into hospital. I have days when I almost forget that it's there, when my control is good and I'm feeling upbeat about the condition. On others, often when I get a high reading or when injections go wrong, I feel useless, impotent, have a bit of a weep and wonder why on earth it's happening to me.

Type one is utterly unfair, and really bloody frustrating. I know we should be philosophical and try to overcome this, but a bit of a self-pity now and then is completely acceptable. I don't see how being 100% upbeat and super positive is possible given the daily jabbing and agonising about food (jesus, I miss being able to have a danish pastry whenever I wanted one). So don't feel bad about being angry, annoyed, and down, but don't let that be your permanent mood. Every now and then I remember how awful I felt in that half-life before diagnosis and suddenly those nasty little needles don't seem quite so bad anymore.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I feel a lot better about my diabetes since doing the DAFNE course. Not only is my bs better, but I feel in control of it (not the other way round) for the first time. I occasionally get fed up with the constant attention it needs, but that doesn't happen often now.

For me diagnosed aged 8, Mum was in charge of when/what I ate. We always had a regular routine anyway so no change there. I think it must be worse to be diagnosed as an adult, when you're settled in your choice of lifestyle and used to deciding for yourself what, when or if you eat etc.

I'd love to know whether my T1 genes came from mum or dad, but not because I want to 'blame' them. As far as we know no-one else in either family has had T1 before or since so maybe my genes were just an accident of conception.

Even if something like being born by caesarian or having a particular virus turns out to be a factor in triggering the immune response, you and your parents didn't know this was a risk at the time so you can't blame them or yourself.

My brother had no medical conditions, but died in an accident. I'm T1 and still here. Maybe I am the lucky one.