1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Had flu jab and now I have the flu

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by princesskyra, Jan 3, 2015.

1. princesskyra

princesskyra Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Any body still had flu even after having the flu jab? I had my flu jab in November and I'm now laid up in bed with the flu! Not been able to eat anything for two days! Is there anything I can take to ease the symptoms?

2. Moniker

Moniker Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have heard that the flu shot this year is not a very good match for the strains that have cropped up. It still offers some protection but not as much as usual.

I hope you feel better soon.

3. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

Well they dont't say you will not get flu but if you do it should not be so severe I have been having flu shots for years and have never had flu but then I can only ever remember having flu once in my life anf that was about 25 years ago. I am pretty healthy for a 75 year old and don't pick bugs up very often I have a cold and bad throat at the moment thanks to my husband sharing his with me but I probably only average a cold every 2 years or so

4. ljwilson

ljwilson Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It is probably a very bad cold you have and not the flu, bad colds can be just as unpleasant as the flu. Hope you feel better soon

5. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is possible to get the flu after having a flu jab because the vaccine does not protect against all types of flu

CAROL

• Like Like x 2
  6. Diamattic

Diamattic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This.

Apparently the flu shot research team guess wrong this year and the shot is fairly useless against the prevalent strain of flu that ended up going around, So even though you got the shot, we all need to act like didn't, cause its almost useless this year.

Stay safe

• Like Like x 2
  7. princesskyra

princesskyra Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh it was definitely flu and it's still not gone yet, I'm not getting the flu jab this year!

8. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

One of the strains that they were trying to protect us had mutated so the jab was useless against this. I don't think it was anybody's fault and goes to show how clever these germs are.
    It was said that although the jab did not protect us fully we would not have such a severe reaction as people who had not had the jab.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Yes, if a person gets flu after having had the jab, the symptoms may well be a lot worse had they not had the jab.

10. Ausra

Ausra · Well-Known Member

All office went like bugs one after another, I lived.
    So I guess it worked for me!

11. bobandpat

bobandpat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've only ever had flu once, the year I had the flu jab :confused: . I've not bothered with it since.

• Like Like x 3
  12. radshack

radshack Type 2 · Newbie

I used to get the Flu quite regular before being diagnosed with T2 14 years ago.
    But since diagnoses I've had a Flu jab every year without fail and I hav'nt had the Flu since, so I've got to say it works for me. :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook