half marathons

runner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I wondered whether anyone out there can help.

I'm a 60+Type 1 36 years on insulin and currently on a basal/bolus regime of novorapid (4x daily) and levemir (2x daily) but moving to an insulin pump in the next few weeks.

For the last few years, after surviving a heart attack, I have been taking more care of myself by losing weight, eating better and exercising more and I have been running seriously since summer 2010 doing about 20 to 25 miles per week. I have now done three half marathons with another four lined up for the rest of 2012. My best time so far is 1 hour 51 mins but I want to get that down to below 1:50 and to somewhere near 1:46 if possible.

I try to start a race with bloods at between 9mmol/L and 11mmol/L. I take one glucose gel (IsoGel - 25g carbs per pack)30mins before the race start and then one pack at 30 minute intervals after the race start - so 3 in total during the race - and I tend to finish with a blood sugar level of 5.5mmol/L. I do not reduce my bolus insulin before a race as I avoid taking insulin within 2 hours of a race start but I do reduce my post race bolus injections by between 20% and 25% for 24 hours after the race.

My problem is that during the last few miles, after 9 to 10 miles, when I most need to either up my pace or keep it going to the finish I don't seem to have enough energy to do that and I would be very interested if anyone can give me any thoughts on what I could do.

I have thought about taking a faster acting glucose source than a gel which tend to be slower acting but I don't like taking glucose tablets when I run as they are fiddly to take and dry my mouth too much. I haven't been able to find a fast acting gel.