Half unit pen

LizzieP

I have finally got round to making an appointment to get a prescription for cartridges for my half unit pen that I haven't used yet (am currently on pre-filled Novo Rapid pens). I am stupidly excited about it :shock: (Yes, I should get out more)
I get the scrip tomorrow and will be half-uniting away as of tomorrow lunchtime. I think it will make things quite a bit easier and allow me to be more precise.
Does anyone else here have one? If so, any feedback (apart from it still being that really ugly orange and blue 'yes, I'm a diabetic' colouring)? :p

mrs bambi

Hi LizzieP,

I have one and I agree it is not pretty and really does not look the part in my designer handbag! I was using a novopen 4 for my Novorapid which is a nice cool grey metal but then my dietician suggested adding 1/2 doses and along came this monstrosity ! It is fine to use though and I find the 1/2 unit doses do help as I am very sensitive to the insulin. I do seem to need to do an air shot everytime I use it though. I got a px for one from my dr but the chemist gave me a regular novopen 3 by mistake so I just collected one from my dietician who had a stash in her cupboard. Why is nothing ever easy with this whole thing? Enjoy !

yipster29

Yep I too have graduated from the flexpen to the half unit 'junior' pens!!

They do allow me to be more precise and the cartridges take up less fridge space! All good! :D

we're so easily pleased! :lol:

mrs bambi

never heard it called a 'junior' pen before but I guess it's meant for kids really not a 34 yr old ! lol I feel like i'm 4 now !

yipster29

I queried was it for kids! :lol: (also 34!) and was told no it referred to the fact it did half units... apparently it used to be called demi or something! :)

Me thinks they were fibbing as the design certainly seems more for the juniors too!

Iambackwards

Why are half unit pens marketed as insulin pens for children and young adults? Shouldn't they have a pen that doesn't look so stupid for everything, because everyone could benefit from half unit pens.

Why do they think only children need half unit doses?

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use half-unit pens for both Levemir and Humalog. The Levemir one made the most difference, but both are a great help. Definitely do airshots, these pens work the same as whole-unit pens so need the same treatment. I guess the 'junior' name and colour schemes are due to small children on average needing lower doses.

When you collect your insulin, always check before leaving the pharmacy that they've given you cartridges and not pre-filled pens. If they give you the wrong one its an official error which they should record, but I find it happens every few months.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Well, I have a nearly 3 year old so he uses half unit pens. I even have stickers of rocket ships on the Novorapid (mainly so the Mummy doesn't dial up the Levemir dose in the wrong pen).

Jen.

Katharine

Steven uses half unit pens. Green and orange balloon type design. I thought it was very 70s!

If you want to change them you can use paint from the warhammer shop and design your own.

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Ha, warhammer paints.

Showing your geekiness now :p
(glad i'm not the only one who does that !!!)

I get the normal novorapd, come in the most disgusting oragne and blue combo, always hated orange for some reason.
I paint over them in purple lol.
I just thought i was odd :D

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Lol... that should be a new comp - Pimp my Pen !!!