Halloween Screamers!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Halloween is coming up (spooky!) and we want you to share with us some of the spookiest and terrifying devices of diabetes past.

Whether its pictures of your old equipment or something you've found online... we want to see them!

worst_lancet_device.jpg

We will start you off with the lancing device called The Guillotine. Seeing this picture makes us VERY appreciative of how far development has come

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Well, we used to use "The Guillotine" not that many years ago in nursing. I retired 7 years ago and it was still being used then!!!!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh memories! I remember the very loud sound of it. It made the finger prick seem so much worse. Thank heaven for progress!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
How about this one... 'The Palmer Injector', Glasgow, Scotland, 1955-1965

hommedia.ashx

chills your bones!!

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And these

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1382546699.256334.jpg
    ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1382546699.256334.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 5,654

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Administrator said:
Halloween is coming up (spooky!) and we want you to share with us some of the spookiest and terrifying devices of diabetes past.

Whether its pictures of your old equipment or something you've found online... we want to see them!

worst_lancet_device.jpg

We will start you off with the lancing device called The Guillotine. Seeing this picture makes us VERY appreciative of how far development has come

Still have nightmares about that contraption, hurt like hell it did!!!!!!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Dodo said:
And these

:shock: Its not just the length of the old needles look at how much thicker
the steel was :shock: :shock:

How they must have "hurt" !!!

SewK8

I remember a nurse had no idea how to load the lancet so used to just use a needle! Her little prick was more like using a sword! I swear it nearly went right through my finger!

nicolan6534

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was diagnosed 20 years ago they didn't have a lancet devise in hospital, so I was just give a lancet to hold to stab my finger with! ..more psychologically challenging that using a devise, especially when your just getting used to injecting etc! OUCH

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gaah, I've been diagnosed T1 for 20 years and started out using old-style syringes... that picture of the needle compared to the new screw-on microfine type is terrifying!! :shock:

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can remember the first time I saw a novopen needle - I couldn't believe how small it was. The joy!:D. There are few enough bright sides to diabetes but I am grateful to have gotten it after disposable syringes became available. Even those needles seem as nothing to old style needles that came with glass syringes that I have seen. Squirm!:shock:

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The number of times the needle would shoot off the end of the syringe when using the injector gun and lodge in my thigh!

sassycat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OMG! Thanks to everyone who's posted, I've used all of the horrors shown, including glass syringes and that revolting urine testing kit with the huge tablets and glass test tubes! Yuk!!! In the end my mother decided she couldn't risk using the Palmer injector as so much insulin was lost when the needle worked loose that she never knew how much of the dose I'd actually had.

I'm now a happy bunny using an insulin pump and hoping to borrow a CGM for a week or so - goodness, how things have changed!!