Halting Weight Loss

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing lc/hf since the end of June 2015 and I have lost weight (albeit not fast or drastic) and gone from 12st8lbs to 10st2lbs. According to some BMI calculators I am in the normal range for my height (5ft3in) and age 72. Others say I should be under 10st.

The thing is, I look scrawny and haggard and I'm not sure I want to lose any more. My HBA1c in September 2015 was 53 or 7% = 8.6 average but as it was only 3 months into starting lc/hf I know I probably made mistakes so I'm hoping my next one might show more improvement. (My starting Hba1c was 57 = 9.1) so not a huge improvement but at least it's going down so far.

So how do I manage the BS without losing more weight? I'm sure I've seen this question before but I've searched and can't find anything and gave up so please could someone either advise or point me in the right direction if you know you've said it all before. Thank you xx

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you do any kind of exercising that promotes muscle retention? How much protein are you eating each day?

Those are the two places I'd be assessing first if it were me.

Resistance training helps tremendously with insulin resistance, haunting (unhealthy) weight loss and avoiding bone density issues (osteoporosis) many women eventually face.

Reactions: 5 people

Southbeds

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As somebody who used to look like Hitchcock and now looks like Gandhi I am happy with my weight loss and feel great
I just think if I had not spent my life stuffing my face with chips ,curry's and drinking gallons of lager this is how I would have looked anyway ,but I never thought I would ever be skinny ,the big plus and this what it is all about I have reversed my diabetes so they will not be chopping my legs off ,last year I had to go to the Diabetic Centre which was full of amputees ,what we now and they don't is how to control our BG for that I thank the forum.

Reactions: 11 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'm eating enough protein, eggs, cheese, milk, meat, greek yogurt, nuts, fish etc.

As for exercise, no I admit I don't do much. I have a chronic back problem (for which I am doing a few gentle exercises) but just getting round the house doing housework leaves me in agony :(

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the weight loss! Fantastic achievement!

In your place, I would be reducing the carbs (if necessary) until I had an HbA1c of 41 or below. Because that is out of the diabetic/pre-diabetic range. Then I would be increasing the protein to the level where I halted the weight loss. You can find protein calculators online, but I tend to go by appetite. Too much protein makes me feel leaden and claggy (technical terms) so as soon as I reach that feeling, I cut back a bit.

Then (in your place) I would keep increasing the fat until I no longer used my body's fat reserves.

Good foods for combining fat and protein, in palatable, interesting ways, are things like pate, nuts, rich cheeses, etc.

Reactions: 7 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As for exercise, no I admit I don't do much. I have a chronic back problem (for which I am doing a few gentle exercises) but just getting round the house doing housework leaves me in agony :(
I won't ask about your back problems as it's none of my business, but I do want to share a little something: I have chronic back problems myself after herniating my L4/L5 disk trying to squat 700 lbs (318kgs) 10 years ago.There were nights I had to sleep in a chair because I was in so much pain and couldn't lay flat.

I can honestly say that my time in the weight room has significantly helped improve my issues. When my hamstrings and ab muscles got weaker, it put a ton of strain on my lower back and pelvis. Regaining that strength helped support my back and take a ton of pressure off of my spine.

I'll still have back problems for the rest of my life, but I just wanted to share that lifting weights significantly improved my circumstances

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing lc/hf since the end of June 2015 and I have lost weight (albeit not fast or drastic) and gone from 12st8lbs to 10st2lbs. According to some BMI calculators I am in the normal range for my height (5ft3in) and age 72. Others say I should be under 10st.

The thing is, I look scrawny and haggard and I'm not sure I want to lose any more. My HBA1c in September 2015 was 53 or 7% = 8.6 average but as it was only 3 months into starting lc/hf I know I probably made mistakes so I'm hoping my next one might show more improvement. (My starting Hba1c was 57 = 9.1) so not a huge improvement but at least it's going down so far.

So how do I manage the BS without losing more weight? I'm sure I've seen this question before but I've searched and can't find anything and gave up so please could someone either advise or point me in the right direction if you know you've said it all before. Thank you xx
Copey - You are an inch taller than me, but 2st 9lb (or 17kg) heavier, so you're not underweight. I am right at the bottom of the BMI range, and I can appreciate you not necessarily wanting to be there. That's your absolutely fine choice.

One thing I will say is that as we lose weight, it can take us a while to get used to the new us, and our friends and families can also take a while to get used to the slimmer person in their midst.

However, to your point, when I got to the stage I wanted to halt weight loss I initially increased my protein a bit from decent to very generous portions. That wasn't enough, so I have ended up increasing my nut consumption, then onto other fats. It took me several weeks to get any sort of balance. the patience required shouldn't be underestimated.

Only you can decide what you want to eat and the quantities, but add protein, then add fats would be my guidance. It's important you keep testing as if you start overloading on protein you could find your blood scores increase a bit, due to the protein converting, through digestion to a certain amount of glucose. If that happens, trim it back to where you started and concentrate on upping the fats.

If your insulin resistance has improved as you have lost weight, you could find you could tolerate a few more carbs these days, but that experiment would be entirely your choice and needless to say should definitely be accompanied by some diligent testing.

Good luck with it all.

Kingsland

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Plain fish, tripe, porridge, pasta, boiled rice,
You have done really well with your weight loss.
Do please take care with exercising. You are a little younger than me, but starting to exercise in your 70s is irresponsible and likely to cause problems which could be serious. Have you had a dexa scan for brittle bones yet? I understand ladies over 70 should be offered one routinely - but many aren't.
People will tell you that swimming is the best exercise for our age group, but our local pool is very cold, and I expect yours will be the same, and breast stroke is not recommended for bad backs - a hotel pool might be suitable, but membership of hotel fitness clubs is expensive.
I also fell into the 'scrawny' trap with friends saying I looked ill and skinny, and I stopped dieting, only to put the weight back on and trigger type 2 - so here I am back on the diet bandwagon. If you're fed up with protein and fat (and your bloods will stand it), upping the amount of fruit you eat might stop the loss and allow the subcutaneous fat to redistribute to your face and neck again without putting on unhealthy fat around your middle. This will take several months.
If you haven't been given a testing kit - look on google for a free diabetes tester - there are plenty of firms willing to send you one as they will then be able to sell you test strips.

Reactions: 9 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the weight loss! Fantastic achievement!

In your place, I would be reducing the carbs (if necessary) until I had an HbA1c of 41 or below. Because that is out of the diabetic/pre-diabetic range. Then I would be increasing the protein to the level where I halted the weight loss. You can find protein calculators online, but I tend to go by appetite. Too much protein makes me feel leaden and claggy (technical terms) so as soon as I reach that feeling, I cut back a bit.

Then (in your place) I would keep increasing the fat until I no longer used my body's fat reserves.

Good foods for combining fat and protein, in palatable, interesting ways, are things like pate, nuts, rich cheeses, etc.

Thanks Brunneria x That's interesting and I'll take that onboard (oh sorry I hate that "corporate speak" term) but the other option was "food for thought" (awful pun) x
I won't ask about your back problems as it's none of my business, but I do want to share a little something: I have chronic back problems myself after herniating my L4/L5 disk trying to squat 700 lbs (318kgs) 10 years ago.There were nights I had to sleep in a chair because I was in so much pain and couldn't lay flat.

I can honestly say that my time in the weight room has significantly helped improve my issues. When my hamstrings and ab muscles got weaker, it put a ton of strain on my lower back and pelvis. Regaining that strength helped support my back and take a ton of pressure off of my spine.

I'll still have back problems for the rest of my life, but I just wanted to share that lifting weights significantly improved my circumstances

According to an MRI scan about 15 years ago I have "crushed vertebrae" and was put on a brief exercise program and sent away with painkillers and told there was nothing they could do. I was still active in those days and it wasn't so much of a problem but it's now got to intolerable levels and hinders every activity. I put up and shut up for years but I've just today got my referral through to the Pain Management/Assessment Clinic and I'm hoping that there might be something other than painkillers but I'm thinking it will be another session on The Back Program of structured exercises and hope to have at least some success with that. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Copey - You are an inch taller than me, but 2st 9lb (or 17kg) heavier, so you're not underweight. I am right at the bottom of the BMI range, and I can appreciate you not necessarily wanting to be there. That's your absolutely fine choice.

One thing I will say is that as we lose weight, it can take us a while to get used to the new us, and our friends and families can also take a while to get used to the slimmer person in their midst.

However, to your point, when I got to the stage I wanted to halt weight loss I initially increased my protein a bit from decent to very generous portions. That wasn't enough, so I have ended up increasing my nut consumption, then onto other fats. It took me several weeks to get any sort of balance. the patience required shouldn't be underestimated.

Only you can decide what you want to eat and the quantities, but add protein, then add fats would be my guidance. It's important you keep testing as if you start overloading on protein you could find your blood scores increase a bit, due to the protein converting, through digestion to a certain amount of glucose. If that happens, trim it back to where you started and concentrate on upping the fats.

If your insulin resistance has improved as you have lost weight, you could find you could tolerate a few more carbs these days, but that experiment would be entirely your choice and needless to say should definitely be accompanied by some diligent testing.

Good luck with it all.

Oh I know I'm nowhere near underweight .. lol. It's just that my old skin doesn't shrink back like young skin does and I don't want to go much lower. I'm just happy to be out of the obese range and close to getting into the higher end of normal. I think TorkPenderloin is right that it's lack of muscle tone that makes me look "saggy". I do still need to work on the BS first and foremost but I think seeing another pound off today set me wondering how one finds the leveller between carb intake and weight loss.

Thank you all for your input and I will keep it in mind xxx

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a matter of balance, which takes time to achieve and it is therefore important to start planning before you drop too much weight.
It is important not to increase the carbs (unless this is your choice) until your BS are where you want them to be, and are stable, so you are left with increasing either protein or fats, or both. It will require time and patience to find the right balance. It won't happen over night unless you are very lucky. When I reached my goal weight I upped the fats and protein but I continued to lose, albeit more slowly. All I could do was up the fats as I was already consuming enough protein to cause a slight rise in my BS levels. Bit by bit I upped them, keeping a strict food diary and measuring/weighing fats accurately until eventually I stabilised. I have remained stable now for over a year.

I agree with AndBreathe that you may not be as "scrawny" as you believe. I thought I looked dreadful at first, but then became used to the new me and now feel absolutely normal and just right for my height and age. I am 68, 5'4" and 8st.10lbs. (BMI 21 down from 31) I also had saggy skin, but that has vastly improved naturally, on its own, by doing nothing.

I also don't exercise much, certainly nothing heavy. I have 2 dog walks a day of about 25 minutes each, plus housework

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have done really well with your weight loss.
Do please take care with exercising. You are a little younger than me, but starting to exercise in your 70s is irresponsible and likely to cause problems which could be serious. Have you had a dexa scan for brittle bones yet? I understand ladies over 70 should be offered one routinely - but many aren't.
People will tell you that swimming is the best exercise for our age group, but our local pool is very cold, and I expect yours will be the same, and breast stroke is not recommended for bad backs - a hotel pool might be suitable, but membership of hotel fitness clubs is expensive.
I also fell into the 'scrawny' trap with friends saying I looked ill and skinny, and I stopped dieting, only to put the weight back on and trigger type 2 - so here I am back on the diet bandwagon. If you're fed up with protein and fat (and your bloods will stand it), upping the amount of fruit you eat might stop the loss and allow the subcutaneous fat to redistribute to your face and neck again without putting on unhealthy fat around your middle. This will take several months.
If you haven't been given a testing kit - look on google for a free diabetes tester - there are plenty of firms willing to send you one as they will then be able to sell you test strips.

Thank you x Yes I am wary about exercise but I'm so restricted by the pain in my back that I will be guided by what the Pain Clinic advise. The last dexa scan I had was at the start of my back problems 15 years ago so it might be worth a mention at the pain clinic although I suspect they may suggest it anyway. I didn't know that about breast stroke and that's all I can do. I've steered away from most fruit as even an apple didn't do me any favours so I stick to the berries usually. I've just bought a smoothie maker and need to experiment what I've heard that combining fruit with some green vegetables may not cause spikes. I'm already an avid tester, especially of anything slightly suspect.

It is a matter of balance, which takes time to achieve and it is therefore important to start planning before you drop too much weight.
It is important not to increase the carbs (unless this is your choice) until your BS are where you want them to be, and are stable, so you are left with increasing either protein or fats, or both. It will require time and patience to find the right balance. It won't happen over night unless you are very lucky. When I reached my goal weight I upped the fats and protein but I continued to lose, albeit more slowly. All I could do was up the fats as I was already consuming enough protein to cause a slight rise in my BS levels. Bit by bit I upped them, keeping a strict food diary and measuring/weighing fats accurately until eventually I stabilised. I have remained stable now for over a year.

I agree with AndBreathe that you may not be as "scrawny" as you believe. I thought I looked dreadful at first, but then became used to the new me and now feel absolutely normal and just right for my height and age. I am 68, 5'4" and 8st.10lbs. (BMI 21 down from 31) I also had saggy skin, but that has vastly improved naturally, on its own, by doing nothing.

I also don't exercise much, certainly nothing heavy. I have 2 dog walks a day of about 25 minutes each, plus housework

It's certainly a juggling act isn't it ...lol.

As for that word "scrawny" no I'm certainly not scrawny, never professed to be ..lol. I'm happy just not being "the fat one" for a change but I know that I should really be down the lower end of normal because I am small boned (small hands and feet) and although I was in the 8 stones in my youth I wasn't even scrawny then. It's all relative isn't it. After being so overweight for so long I feel so good about seeing the weight go but I dread looking like skin and bone. I'm encouraged to hear that skin can shrink back though. My o/h wants us to get a dog now he's retired but I really don't want one.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
My o/h wants us to get a dog now he's retired but I really don't want one.

It might be a bit much for you @copey399 but there's lots of placid dogs out there looking for a home. They all learn quickly about what their masters can and cannot do. If it were me, I'd wanna know what breed he's thinking of as this involves both of you.

A small (trained) pup might be ok, but a big dog is way over the top. Pros and cons with everything and if your O/H is willing to take it on (training / walking / feeding etc) after consultation with you, then give it some thought. Their company can be a wonderful way to take your mind off your own issues so that is a factor. I've seen it happen so often that if your attention is driven to them, the less is given over to yours. They dissolve stress, ask for little and love you to bits. All that said, I'll shut up now as I don't walk in your shoes and totally understand your reluctance.

Reactions: 8 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be a bit much for you @copey399 but there's lots of placid dogs out there looking for a home. They all learn quickly about what their masters can and cannot do. If it were me, I'd wanna know what breed he's thinking of as this involves both of you.

A small (trained) pup might be ok, but a big dog is way over the top. Pros and cons with everything and if your O/H is willing to take it on (training / walking / feeding etc) after consultation with you, then give it some thought. Their company can be a wonderful way to take your mind off your own issues so that is a factor. I've seen it happen so often that if your attention is driven to them, the less is given over to yours. They dissolve stress, ask for little and love you to bits. All that said, I'll shut up now as I don't walk in your shoes and totally understand your reluctance.

We did have a dog Mike, an adorable little West Highland Terrier, and he lived for 16 years which was a good innings for a Westie, I believe. He was loved to bits and we even bought our first camper van so he could come on holiday with us because we couldn't bear to put him in kennels after one bad experience. It broke our hearts when he died and I vowed I wouldn't put us through that again. I do remember the good times, the unconditional love and devotion (on both sides) but I also remember the downsides like padding out to the bathroom in the night and feeling something squelch between my toes where he had thrown up, the guilt I felt when I needed to go to town and he would get excited thinking I was taking him out and then look so sad when I didn't. Worrying about getting home whenever we couldn't take him out with us and not wanting to leave him for too long. The clearing up when he got old and incontinent. Having to climb over baby gates to stop him getting to my mum's flat below ours, the cost of vets bills and grooming, the fact that when he got older he couldn't manage the steps down to the garden so he would go out his dog flap for a wee but would do it on the balcony at the top of the steps down (Phew it reeked when the sun got on it and we had it all replaced when he'd gone). Not being able to pop in a cafe and have a cuppa or a bite to eat because dogs aren't allowed in. Picking up poop on walks is not my idea of fun either. The neighbours complaining that he barked a lot when we had to leave him at home, the fact that we live on a main road and he was up at the window barking at any noise outside. Firework night when he would tremble with fear until he sadly went quite deaf in his old age.

I'm sorry if that sounds all negative but it's the things I don't miss and don't want to go through again now we've had years of freedom from all that. My soft side has been tempted but my practical side says "no thanks". O/H talks about the health benefits but we don't need a dog to make us go out for walks do we? I expect a lot of dog owners will defend their beautiful animals but it's no good if we're not both commited to it and I'm definitely not. Why tie ourselves down when we're both retired and free to come and go as we please.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I hear you @copey399

You're a "been there done that" with pets (and I do like westies) but there comes a time in life you don't wish to go thru all that again.

Not the first time I've said it and it sure won't be the last. I hate the fact that cats and dogs don't live a lot longer than they do.
We've got birds downunder that live to our age but our best mates? Planning gone wrong.

I won't take sides here but I think I just did :)

Reactions: 6 people

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @copey399
Well done on the weight loss and reduction in HbA1c. You have made really good progress.
I would agree with @AndBreathe but possibly try and slow down weight loss. When I got to that stage I discovered Lidl rolls which I can eat (meter readings) which are high protein although low carb. I mostly eat half with a salad and I think that helped to slow down weight loss. My BMI went from 25 at diagnosis down to 20 now so I really don't want to lose more weight but do still want to control my blood sugars. My sugars went a little higher as I slowed and then tried to stop my weight loss so I do have to continue testing. I have tried testing different foods and found I can eat sweet potatoes in small quantities. I do quite a bit of walking as I think that also helps. I aim for 4 or 5 miles a day - mostly in about 3 walks. Just walking to the shops and carrying the shopping home helps, I then have to make very regular trips as I can't carry that much so that also helps.

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hear you @copey399

You're a "been there done that" with pets (and I do like westies) but there comes a time in life you don't wish to go thru all that again.

Not the first time I've said it and it sure won't be the last. I hate the fact that cats and dogs don't live a lot longer than they do.
We've got birds downunder that live to our age but our best mates? Planning gone wrong.

I won't take sides here but I think I just did :)

Well that's another thing. When you get into your 70s you never know who is going to outlive who. Get an older pet and go through the heartbreak of losing it possibly or a younger one and wonder what will happen if we have to go into care and part with it. :(

Hi @copey399
Well done on the weight loss and reduction in HbA1c. You have made really good progress.
I would agree with @AndBreathe but possibly try and slow down weight loss. When I got to that stage I discovered Lidl rolls which I can eat (meter readings) which are high protein although low carb. I mostly eat half with a salad and I think that helped to slow down weight loss. My BMI went from 25 at diagnosis down to 20 now so I really don't want to lose more weight but do still want to control my blood sugars. My sugars went a little higher as I slowed and then tried to stop my weight loss so I do have to continue testing. I have tried testing different foods and found I can eat sweet potatoes in small quantities. I do quite a bit of walking as I think that also helps. I aim for 4 or 5 miles a day - mostly in about 3 walks. Just walking to the shops and carrying the shopping home helps, I then have to make very regular trips as I can't carry that much so that also helps.

Thank you x I kind of went off the Lidl rolls a bit. Although they don't spike me I do feel very bloated after eating even half and often slice them into 3. I prefer the middle bit as it's more digestible :)

S

Shar67

Well done on the weight loss, dogs are a bind, I have 3 my avatar is Benji aged 17ish ( he is a rescue presumed to be 5 when we 1st got him but vet thinks he was nearer 7 if he was 5 he is 17 now), I don't know what I do but most of my dogs live longer than average age, Benji is selectively deaf, very poor eyesight, only one tooth (breed fault) andI love him to bits, I had a Cairn terrier who was 20 when she went to the bridge, a sprollie (springer X collie) who was 22 when he went.
I was a dog fosterer until my last boy went to his new home just before Christmas (new owner is older and dogs will be looked after by the Cinnamon trust if anything happens to her, in reality the dog will come back to me)
Fostering is a good way to have a dog without the full on commitment, breed rescues are always needing good foster homes, Battersea dogs home have started doing it as well. You can take a break from it and you are helping at the same time

Reactions: 6 people

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter

Well done for losing the weight!!:)...I just can't imagine having this problem, but if I did I'd definitely increase my cream intake which I love but have to limit if I want to lose any weight!!

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done for losing the weight!!:)...I just can't imagine having this problem, but if I did I'd definitely increase my cream intake which I love but have to limit if I want to lose any weight!!

Thank you x Although I was looking in the mirror today and I seem to have bloated up for some reason. I did feel quite slim but I still have the pregnant belly shape with excess fat round my middle where it shouldn't be. I think if I looked like a stick man I'd still have the belly fat. I can tell by my measurements that I've lost inches but the belly is still out of proportion to the rest of me.

Been reading up on belly bloat and so many people have the same problem but nobody seems to have any ways to get rid of it. It could be so many things like allergies, cysts, IBS, but some people have had all the tests and scans and still not found out what it is.

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Thank you x Although I was looking in the mirror today and I seem to have bloated up for some reason. I did feel quite slim but I still have the pregnant belly shape with excess fat round my middle where it shouldn't be. I think if I looked like a stick man I'd still have the belly fat. I can tell by my measurements that I've lost inches but the belly is still out of proportion to the rest of me.

Been reading up on belly bloat and so many people have the same problem but nobody seems to have any ways to get rid of it. It could be so many things like allergies, cysts, IBS, but some people have had all the tests and scans and still not found out what it is.
I think I'll always have the pregnant belly shape. I remember when I first watched Mrs. Doubtfire and Robin Williams is putting on his body costume and I thought with horror tat's exactly what my figure looks like!!:eek: