Handwash before fingerprick?

Geohamil

Hi

Do you always wash your fingers before measuring blood sugar?
I sometimes dont and now i'm wondering if I can catch hiv or hepatitis if I go to the supermarket and fingerprick without washing first?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Not always.. In fact, very rarely.. Just depends if I'm in my house or garden or public place.

Reactions: 3 people

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aye, always. But not for fear of infection. To get proper results. All sorts of different contamination on your skin can give false results, and not just food, even newspaper print. You should always wash your hands with soap and warm water and completely dry before testing. If you're unable to wash you should wipe away the first drop of blood and use the second to test.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with Garr. The other week I recorded an unexpectedly high reading around 10. Washed my hands and retested (twice), getting results under 6 both times, so I now rinse my hands under the hot tap whenever I can.

I can't remember where, but I have read that under normal circumstances finger pricks don't get infected. Common sense obviously comes into it, and if you've been on a really mucky job, bare handed, basic hygiene should mean you'd expect to wash them.

Cupcaake32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dubstep made in chelsea
I have always been told just rinse your hands with water no soap coz most of them contain glycerine a sugar that affects results which is certainly true of antibac soaps or high aclhohol ones or scented or bar soaps just soap in general really

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Yep always wash in hot water first just so I can get a good result and actually I wash my hands automatically when I get home if I have been shopping at the supermarket. Have you seen some of those sticky kids who ride in the trolleys? ;)

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Always, I believe it to be most important, no doctor or nurse I know would give an injection without swabbing the area first.
If you don't have access to soap and water carry some small disposable swabs with you, used ones can be disposed of in the same way as the spent strips.

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was told not to use alcohol swabs since they can make the skin harder. They have also been found to be ineffective . When people tested after peeling fruit the sugar from the fruit caused levels to be higher. Even swabbing five times with alcohol didn't result in an accurate test.
The best results were gained by washing hands with tap water.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/3/596.full.pdf+html
another study concluded that if washing hands, was not possible (in this study they used soap and water) and that hands were not visibly soiled or exposed to a sugar-containing product, that it was acceptable to use the second drop of blood.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/3/556.full
Personally, I test quite frequently without washing . when I'm out running or walking, it's just not possible. I have only once had a bad reading from contamination with dextrose on my fingers.
It's the same with injections, alcohol may interfere with some of the things that are injected. In France they don't swab before insulin injections, even in hospital but I had a look to see what they said in the UK This document from Scotland, says that there is little evidence for alcohol swabbing for intradermal, subcutaneous or intramuscular injections and that if the site is soiled it should be washed to 'common standards' with soap and water.
http://www.documents.hps.scot.nhs.uk/hai/infection-control/publications/skin-disinfection-review.pdf

Reactions: 6 people

tono

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had type 1 for 42 years and test 4 or 5 times a day and only wash my hands in work or if I've been out in the garden at home. I can't see the point if your hands are clean it doesn't seem to have affected my readings, how many of you out there swab your injection area every time you inject? Not many I bet.

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes I do, sometimes I can't.

BUT, when I do it carefully with soap and warm water, I always wonder about contamination when drying with a towel. If it's used by others, maybe there are food or dirt traces on it?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have always been told just rinse your hands with water no soap coz most of them contain glycerine a sugar that affects results which is certainly true of antibac soaps or high aclhohol ones or scented or bar soaps just soap in general really

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

More reason to rinse the hands thoroughly after using soap, rinsing hands under water alone doesn't get them hygienically clean.

I use anti-bac soaps at home and work and not had any problems, however as some have pointed out it's not always easy to wash hands when out & about so normally just wipe the first drop of blood onto a tissue and use the second drop to test.

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
Each to their own, but I prefer to get it right every time than risk geting it wrong just once.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think to put things into perspective, my DN said there was no need to swab my stomach before injecting because, as she says, the skin is normally 'clean' with it's own microbes and doesn't need any help. I think we can worry too much about hygiene when it comes to finger-pricking other than removing obvious dirt or chemicals including soap that might affect the reading

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you don't wash your hands before testing, the cost of the test is wasted because you can't trust the result and if you can't trust the result, why test at all?

Of all your body parts which pick up foreign bodies, your fingers are tops. Food residues on the table top will leave traces. If you put your hand on the table top, you'll get traces on your hands. Same with door handles, fridge handles, jars, oven door etc etc. Many of these food residues will distort readings but, unless you are a really very bad cook, they won't poison you.

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
There are still now people who cant be bothered to wash hands after visiting the toilet, several studies have shown foetal bacteria on the most unlikely of surfaces. I have no doubt most if not all the people on this forum are not among these people, but we all touch door handles, supermarket trollies, taxi door handles and a myriad of other public places. Stay safe wash or wipe before testing.