Happy 1 Year Type 1 Diabetes Birthday to me!

LizzieP

Long post alert!

Ah, yes. It was exactly one year ago today, with a blood sugar reading of 24.8mml and ketones in my urine, that I was told I had Type 1 Diabetes.

I remember being relieved at the time. I had lost so much weight so quickly that my husband and I thought it was something really serious. And then, hmmmm, after a bit of reading, we realised that diabetes *is* really serious, which made me feel guilty about all the times I'd thought 'diabetics; they just have to take their medication and they're fine, right?'

So, my year since 1st May 08 has been quite a journey (sorry to sound so X-Factor). The second doctor I saw told me I must be Type 2 due to my age (39 at the time) and put me on gliclazide and ran some more tests. The Bank Holiday arrived and I got a call from said doc on the Sunday from his house in France, who was basically (now I think about it) calling to see if I was still alive as those test results showed that my bicarb levels and anion gap were indicating all the hallmarks of Type 1. I was put on insulin (Lantus only at first) the first working day after the Bank Hol. A couple of days later, I was prescribed Novorapid as my levels were still in the 20s (though my acidocis was reversed).

I read all I possibly could about how to live with this chronic condition and was so overwhelmed by all the information that I spent about a week in tears and in a deep dark pit of despair, thinking I would never be able to manage it. And then I pulled myself together.

I learnt how to carb count. I experimented with ratios and found out what they were. I gradually stopped flying into a mad panic, thinking I was going to die, every time I had a hypo. I started experimenting with exercise. I started to go to the pub again. I bought some diabetic jam (blech)! I got through Christmas, Easter, birthday parties, christenings, holidays abroad and all the general stuff that makes life such fun. And guess what, it's still fun!

Sure, there are days when having Type 1 totally stinks. But I've come to learn that you need to engage with it. Yes, it's annoying when you get it wrong and occasionally end up 12.3 after a meal if you've miscalculated. But it doesn't mean your foot is going to fall off. You just try and work out what happend and avoid doing it again. I have found that when you are told that you can eat what you like and cover it with insulin, that this is not the truth (for me personally). I have reduced my carb intake by quite a bit (reading sites like this is invaluable) and I am happy with my HBA1cs (all under the recommended 6.6). Life is good!

Sorry about this long post but I just wanted to reassure anyone who is newly diagnosed and feeling awful about it, that it really doesn't have to be that bad. My diagnosis hasn't stopped me from doing anything I want to do. Taking control of diabetes and getting good results goes a long way in helping mental well being.

As it's my T1 birthday today, I thought I might treat myself to a nice big jacket potato with beans and cheese for my lunch. But you know what? I just don't fancy it. It's amazing how we can adapt. :wink:
Have a great Bank Holiday weekend everyone!

ma5on

Congratulations Lizzie - that's inspirational stuff!!!

I hope the newly diagnosed get to read what you have written before they fall into the downward cycle I did as I had no information or support other that 'eat carbs, up your insulin!' mantra they stil preach!

Hope you have a fantastic bank holiday!

ma5on x :D

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
congratulations :D :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Congratulations Lizzy.
Great stuff you wrote. Inspiration to all.

Ken. :D

lilibet

Lizzi

Thats a fab post. It made me quite tearful. Am at the 7 month point and recognise so many of your points so hope to be where you are one year on

L

PS: Dont waste your carbs on a jacket potato and beans! There's chocolate in them there hills........