hard skin

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
My Dn told me to purchase one of them thingies to get rid of hard skin. yet when I went into boots to get the one like on tv, the egg thingy, as soon as I said I was diabetic they refused to sell it to me?

They said they could not be held responsible if I cut myself with it?? yet on tv it shows it being used on a balloon.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Suffolk
Try rubbing Vaseline into your feet and wrapping in clingfilm overnight. After a bit, the feet will be Ok
Otherwise I thin the pound shop was selling raspers. They wouldn'r ask questions and their product costs a pound
Hana
Coming to Suffolk in March 60th Wedding anniversary party in Beyton.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
hanadr said:
Suffolk
Try rubbing Vaseline into your feet and wrapping in clingfilm overnight. After a bit, the feet will be Ok
Otherwise I thin the pound shop was selling raspers. They wouldn'r ask questions and their product costs a pound
Hana
quote]

Well, buying a 'rasper' is going to have the same effect as the Ped-Egg which is not recommended for Diabetics, for reasons that are obvious......we have to look after our feet....properly.

Spending a pound with no questions asked could end up costing you much more in the long run........ :(

Therefore SB I would suggest that you get yourself referred to a Podiatrist. The experts in foot care !

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I keep my heels free from hard skin with bog standard sand paper (the modern oxide type) if it does build up and then Boots Cracked Heel Balm to help keep them softish. Its a regular job and when I remember I usually giv'em a rub with the pumice stone in my morning bath.
Once you have them in reasonable condition, its fairly easy to keep them that way.

I think Boots was right ... a balloon does not have cracks and ruts in it such as feet have, and that misleading advert should be removed. My next step is to now write to the ads standards site as they should be aware of this
!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Vaseline:
The podiatrist on my post diagnosis course specifically said not to use vaseline for cracked/hard skin as they are not absorbed by the skin (though agreed that it was fine to use for friction prevention /protective layer on long walks and runs).

When I searched google with 'vaseline and diabetes foot' I got lots of hits advising its use it, but when I searched 'diabetes foot do not use vaseline' I also got lots of hits including this one from Dr Bernsteins site.(so I thought I'd quote him :) )

If the skin of your feet is dry, lubricate the entire foot. Suitable lubricants include mink oil, olive oil, Vitamin E oil, and emulsified lanolin. Do not use petroleum jelly (Vaseline), mineral oil, or baby oil
(actually there's a useful list of dos and don'ts for foot care)

Personally, if I had the problem I'd go for a specific foot moisturiser or lanolin.
edit : and definitely not use anything sharp even a small cut can lead to serious problems.
If it's hard enough to consider minor home surgery then you should, as Ken say,s visit the podiatrist.

RWJ

I use a foot file and the podiatrist I saw said I was ok to use that if I keep up with it and I am also prescribed a foot cream from the doctor that helps keep the skin soft. (sorry can't remember the name of it, am not at home at the moment to check it)

Using the foot file softly and often on the hard skin and then keeping on top if it will help keep your feet in good condition, but keep putting cream on them too.

RWJ

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Foggitthedoggit said:
Go for a sauna a couple of times a week and it disappears.

Errr ? Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't Sauna's supposed to be not advisable for Diabetic's, medical advice that is. Not the Manufacturers more biased advice !

The reason Diabetics should be careful in Spa's, Hot Tubs and Saunas is because it can have quite an effect on your Bg levels and cause you to Hypo because of the heat.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
I regularly do a little bit on the treadmill and bike and then use the pool, steam room, sauna and spa pool. I don’t do anything to excess and know I have no problems with my BG levels as I test before and after. Perhaps the “Diabetics should be careful” is the key here.

And my feet are beeyootiful! :D I cream them regularly with proper foot care cream.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I use Flexitol Heel Balm, given to me by my gp for dry and hard skin. Very effective, feet are soft within days. My podiatrist recommended this too, said he always advises his diabetic patients to use this product. It says on the tube that it is safe for diabetics to use, and states the following:

'Flexitol Heel Balm is scientifically formulated to hydrate dry, cracked heels and feet. It contains 25% Urea in a highly concentrated, moisturising and emollient base'.

I am sure it costs around £3 a tube, available in most high street chemists.

Nigel

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
cugila said:
Foggitthedoggit said:
Go for a sauna a couple of times a week and it disappears.

Errr ? Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't Sauna's supposed to be not advisable for Diabetic's, medical advice that is. Not the Manufacturers more biased advice !

The reason Diabetics should be careful in Spa's, Hot Tubs and Saunas is because it can have quite an effect on your Bg levels and cause you to Hypo because of the heat.

Oh blimey Ken, you've just crushed my butterfly.

I'm about to join a local gym tomorrow and I've specifically chosen this one as it has an excellent hot tub and steam room adjacent to the swimming pool.

Your surely not suggesting that anyone with betes shouldn't be using the hot tub or steam room are you? :?:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ardbeg,

I was told the same many years ago by my diabetes consultant. As I am type 1, I can't say for sure that it covers all people with diabetes, therefore my advice to you would be to check with your diabetes clinic.

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Ardbeg.

The advice is right. You just need to check before hand and if you start feeling strange.....
(would you notice ? :wink: )....then test and make sure you have a small carby snack handy if too low. It is really more important for a T1, but speaking from my own experience it can and will affect anybody. Test !
As a T2 you should liver dump anyway and the levels will elevate.

I am not saying DON'T....just be aware it can have an effect.