Hardened arteries

Zanshin

My mother in law is Type 2 and recently broke her leg. A couple of weeks after the break, an xray detected hardened arteries in her legs, the initial assumption being that it`s linked to her diabetes control. There are a few issues in terms of review (her annual review was pushed out to every 5 years, which as a type 1 I find shocking, given she is 65)...but my question is this - what should she do to reverse/limit the damage? Is it a case of managing cholestorol and increasing exercise?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hardening of the Arteries (Arteriosclerosis), some information about the subject which may be of benefit........as the damage has been done already.....you need to make sure it doesn't worsen.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/hardenin ... cle_em.htm

If a person has arteriosclerosis, he or she will need to make the following lifestyle changes:
• Eat food that has low saturated fat and low cholesterol.
• Restrict the salt-intake in the diet if one has high blood pressure.
• Increase the consumption of food that has high fiber content (vegetables and fruits).
• Eat fish at least twice a week.
• Quit smoking.
• Lose weight if overweight.
• Exercise under the supervision of a health care provider.
• If the patient has elevated blood glucose, he or she will have to regularly monitor blood glucose levels and glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) levels

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Zanshin said:
There are a few issues in terms of review (her annual review was pushed out to every 5 years,

That is shocking, are you sure this is correct? A annual review is just that......a 12 monthly review! All people with diabetes- regardless of type are entitled to a 12 monthly review, chase this up with your mother-in-laws diabetes care team asap.

Nigel

Zanshin

Yeah, totally agree, I couldn`t believe it. I`ll check nothing got lost along the communication trail, but if true it really is shocking. She`s based in Ireland, not sure that the approach is any different there or not. She was recently (2 years ago) switched from tablets to insulin injection, I think to get her used to doing it whilst still young enough. From what I hear, her control is actually fairly good, I think the problem lies in not exercising enough post retirement.

Thanks for your posts though, much appreciated.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I'm sorry your mother-in-law broke her leg. I don't know what the relation might
be between arteriosclerosis and bone fragility -- maybe she lost her balance? I hope she is doing better now. That arteriosclerosis stuff is pretty scary. I appreciate the info posted.

Zanshin

All people with diabetes- regardless of type are entitled to a 12 monthly review

I just found out, she was meant to have an annual review, but there was an admin oversight at the hospital, and nobody contacted her, so she went 2 years without a review. Personally, I`d have contacted the hospital after a year, but not everyone`s as pushy...

PastaShape

Dislikes
DIABETES
I think healthy fats, like flax seed oil and virgin coconut oil and the healthy fats in nuts will help.

My friend has been diagnosed with intermittent claudication, she started on healthy fats, 14 months later, intermittent claudication has gone, good bg control is important as well.

Hope it helps

Zanshin

Sounds like good advice all round - manage cholestorol, eat healthy fats, exercise well, and maintain good blood sugar levels. Now all I have to do is persuade her (plus have a word about coming down the stairs too quickly!)