hartleys sugar free jellies

bedshaped2000

can somebody help me with the nutrition values because i have become all fingers and thumbs

is the carb value per 100g of the sachet in its powdered form or jelly form

because there is a big difference between lemon and lime, blackcurrent and strawberry.

ive been buying the ready made stuff in the pots but this is costing me a arm and a leg when the powdered stuff is more value. the value per pot is low .

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I use the sachet's........
The Carb value for a sachet (Strawberry) of made up jelly per 564 mil (pint) is 2.01 g.

On the products it gives you the powder value and the made up value which is what you should go by. Unless of course you want to eat the powder neat !! :wink:

Ken

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Oh, I love these jellies. I used to buy the ready made form but my local Sainsbury's has stopped selling them, so I buy the powdered ones now. I feel, my opinion of course, that the powdered ones taste better than the ready made stuff. Don't know why that should be :? :? These jellies are excellent for a bit of sweetness and they do nothing to my BM's thank goodness. I just wish there were more sugar free yogurts out there. I can buy them online but my local supermarkets don't sell them. I've tried Muller Light's, they contain fructose, but these raise my BM too much. Anyone got any ideas and/or hints?? You guys are always good for these things :D :D :D

dragongirl

Sorrym sue32, just reverting to Hartley's for a minute. In Tesco last night I found the orange and the lemon/lime one and they're a fraction of the carb value of the others.

I too wish there were yogurts that tasted nice and were sugar free. I can't stomach natural yogurt.
DG

anniep

And sadly none of these Jellies are vegetarian - I can only use weightwatchers jellies, and so many of the lowest carb yogurts are not veggie either.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Asda's own sugar free sachets of powder jelly are vegetarian, or at least they always were...

anniep

They used to be but last time I was looking for them I couldn't find them, next time I am in asda I will have another look in case.

mazbee

I found my BG rose with the ready made so called sugar free pots of jelly, they also coloured my tongue in bright vivid colours.... LOL
The powdered jellies I find are fine, I have never had a problem with these.
Also I can make smaller pots than the ready made. 8)

dragongirl

Smaller pots? :shock: you can have a whole pint like Cugila does, or at least recommended!!! I usually divide it in three as a sort of happy medium. I mean, I need to get myself fed as well as watch BG.
DG

Reactions: TIANDB

anniep

anniep said:
They used to be but last time I was looking for them I couldn't find them, next time I am in asda I will have another look in case.

I went to Asda today they and in my Asda at least they no longer have their own sugar free jellies. :x

nilemthakrar

Wow, I never knew you can buy vege sugar free jelly. I will go check in my Asda. It will be great if I can hold of it. Will keep u updated.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
dragongirl said:
Smaller pots? :shock: you can have a whole pint like Cugila does, or at least recommended!!! I usually divide it in three as a sort of happy medium. I mean, I need to get myself fed as well as watch BG.
DG

DG.
What a foul slur that is........I will have you know that I eat it over two days. I would hate to think that people imagine me sitting there drooling over a pint of Hartley's.

Guinness maybe........I have my standards you know ! :wink:

Reactions: 2 people

anniep

nilemthakrar said:
Wow, I never knew you can buy vege sugar free jelly. I will go check in my Asda. It will be great if I can hold of it. Will keep u updated.

Weightwatchers jellies were veggie last time I looked, even if asda's aren't any more.

ginx

I assumed these jellies were ok because by the time they're divided into say four portions, the carb content is minimal.
I have an eight year old daughter diagnosed three weeks ago and three other non-diabetic children. Has anyone any idea for deserts to suit everyone? Nobody likes Hartleys sugar free jellies anyway. Are diet yoghurts ok? Children's yoghurts are shockingly high in sugar. Is ice cream ok? I think the dietician said it wasn't too bad ... is it ok to give a tiny choc bar (7grams in a small milky bar) after healthy meal? Any advice on sweet food?

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
ginx said:
I assumed these jellies were ok because by the time they're divided into say four portions, the carb content is minimal.
I have an eight year old daughter diagnosed three weeks ago and three other non-diabetic children. Has anyone any idea for deserts to suit everyone? Nobody likes Hartleys sugar free jellies anyway. Are diet yoghurts ok? Children's yoghurts are shockingly high in sugar. Is ice cream ok? I think the dietician said it wasn't too bad ... is it ok to give a tiny choc bar (7grams in a small milky bar) after healthy meal? Any advice on sweet food?

Hi ginx, with type 1, it's ok to eat any food as long as you count the carbs and bolus accordingly. Obviously, no one would recommend your daughter exists on JUST ice cream but she can eat the same treats as your other children, no problem! Do you have an Iphone? There is a fab App for Carb counting, it gives you a variety of portion sizes for a wide variety of foods, I find it very helpful. As for a bar of choc, it's absolutely ok to give that as an after dinner treat! Have you tried Activia yogurts? the Raspberry ones are not too bad carbs wise, around 10g I think per pot (from memory!) so maybe something all your children could enjoy :D

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Tried fizzy jelly? Make it with lemonade instead of water, and it fizzes as you eat it :D

Ice-cream is okay, good quality ones are better, more milk/cream, less fake milk and sugar added. Frozen yoghurts are good, especially with frozen fruit added... smash up some mango on top... absolutely gorgeous.

Banana's coated in yoghurt and sprinkles then frozen... yum yum.

You can make some really really nice deserts with splenda, and everyone love rice crispie cakes. Use high cocoa chocolate, some dried fruit and cornflakes / crispies.
Not a great desert, but not a very bad one either, it's important that she has all the normal things that other kids do, it's horrible feeling left out....

Diet yoghurts aren't the best.... they reduce the fat but put sugar in to make them taste better. Go for the high fat ones, they're usually lower in carbs. unflavoured yoghurt with her fav. cereal / fruits in is yumm.

The occasional milky bar is fine. They are yum :) once a fortnight ish.... more because it's just rubbish chocolate than it's bad for the diabetes lol. My weakness is raisin and biscuit Yorkie bars.... yum yum yum.

debs36f

my son was diagnosed in may he is 9 i have found it really hard to find out what is ok for him to eat to be the same as everyone else. mini muller rice with a main meal doesnt seem to affect his bloods or the squirty cream i also make fruit crumble and just use eating apples or pears so i dont need to put extra sugar on them and the crumble is made of oats flour butter and canderel this has no affects on his bloods im also trying to find good snacks for school that are 30g carbs if anyone has any ideas x

mother of two
son diagnosed 11th may 2010 aged 9

Kathleen Mc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
i've tried a couple of 'sugar-free' yoghurts and have to say they all have a funny metallic taste to them.
i discovered muller bio yoghurt and find they don't have any detrimental effects as the granola in them is low-gi i believe.

suzybee

Dislikes
Narrow minded judgemental people who make other peoples lives difficult by their voiced attitudes.
I don't know how well this will bode with all of you but I am type 2 and trying to reduce weight desperately and I use the Hartleys sugar free crystals and make it up with a small amount of boiling water and the rest sugar fee lemonade . It gives a little fizz on the tongue and makes a real change. I do use Weightwatchers yoghurts because they are low in calories and fat and my balance is fine with them although they may not suit everyone's taste. You could also try using natural low fat yoghurt with your own stewed fruit that if you had to make sweeter you can use the granulated sweeteners. Hope this helps. Suzy :D