1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Harvard team "cures" diabetes in mice with stem cells; a similar clinical trial is lauched by others

Discussion in 'Diabetes Research' started by bookbah, Oct 26, 2014.

1. bookbah

bookbah Researcher · Newbie

In a world-first, Harvard University's Doug Melton reported in a top journal "curing" diabetes in mice using both embryonic and adult stem cells, meticulously creating perfect beta cells that respond repeatedly to insulin. A similar approach by a different and unrelated group, involving stem cells that were differentiated to slightly less mature beta cells than Melton's before implant, is at the heart of a clinical trial in Type 1 patients. http://www.biosciencetechnology.com/articles/2014/10/embryonic-stem-cells-trial-diabetes

• Like Like x 5
  2. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Amazing. They're starting human trials in a few weeks. I'm very confident that there will be a cure, or a closed loop system, available to us in the next 5 years or so.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Emmotha

Emmotha Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello
    Might be a daft question, but won't our antibodies just kill them off again?

4. SamJB

They say that they're planning to put the cells in a capsule that blocks immune cells from entering. Doesn't mention whether this capsule has been invented yet!

• Like Like x 2
  5. daniT1D

daniT1D Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yeah I read it needs to go in a capsule which they haven't even started to develop!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

6. SamJB

Ah. Slight stumbling block there. Sounds like the hard bit has been done. I suppose the could put it into a porous capsule, with holes smaller than a white blood cell. Who knows!?

7. daniT1D

daniT1D Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I also loved the quote "4 months after transplant only 1 of the 6 mice had died" :O

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 6
  8. PaulinaB

PaulinaB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh my god! :D

I guess even if your immune system kills them, you can have another implant! Even if that's every year, I'd go for one procedure per year instead of X insulin injections per day ;)

• Like Like x 4
  9. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

But Sam, wouldn't this mean immunosuppressants for life? I'd prefer insulin to that.

10. kitty55

kitty55 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Don't think so cos if they're encapsulated I don't think you need immunosuppressants. Or am I wrong?

11. SamJB

Yes, I think that's right.

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook