Harvard team "cures" diabetes in mice with stem cells; a similar clinical trial is lauched by others

bookbah

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In a world-first, Harvard University's Doug Melton reported in a top journal "curing" diabetes in mice using both embryonic and adult stem cells, meticulously creating perfect beta cells that respond repeatedly to insulin. A similar approach by a different and unrelated group, involving stem cells that were differentiated to slightly less mature beta cells than Melton's before implant, is at the heart of a clinical trial in Type 1 patients. http://www.biosciencetechnology.com/articles/2014/10/embryonic-stem-cells-trial-diabetes

Reactions: 5 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Amazing. They're starting human trials in a few weeks. I'm very confident that there will be a cure, or a closed loop system, available to us in the next 5 years or so.

Reactions: 4 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello
Might be a daft question, but won't our antibodies just kill them off again?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello
Might be a daft question, but won't our antibodies just kill them off again?
They say that they're planning to put the cells in a capsule that blocks immune cells from entering. Doesn't mention whether this capsule has been invented yet!

Reactions: 2 people

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They say that they're planning to put the cells in a capsule that blocks immune cells from entering. Doesn't mention whether this capsule has been invented yet!
Yeah I read it needs to go in a capsule which they haven't even started to develop!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah I read it needs to go in a capsule which they haven't even started to develop!

Ah. Slight stumbling block there. Sounds like the hard bit has been done. I suppose the could put it into a porous capsule, with holes smaller than a white blood cell. Who knows!?

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also loved the quote "4 months after transplant only 1 of the 6 mice had died" :O

Oh my god! :D

I guess even if your immune system kills them, you can have another implant! Even if that's every year, I'd go for one procedure per year instead of X insulin injections per day ;)

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But Sam, wouldn't this mean immunosuppressants for life? I'd prefer insulin to that.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
But Sam, wouldn't this mean immunosuppressants for life? I'd prefer insulin to that.

Don't think so cos if they're encapsulated I don't think you need immunosuppressants. Or am I wrong?