1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Has anyone here been a diabetic for more than 40 years?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by BOHDE, Jun 10, 2014.

1. BOHDE

BOHDE Type 1 · Newbie

I became a diabetic at age 12 now it is starting to take it's toll. I can no longer work because of neuropathy. What is a person to do?

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I clocked up 42 years in February.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
  3. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh, and hi... welcome to the forum :)

4. masonbason63

masonbason63 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi I'm booking in at 40 years this December and can't work because of a lot of complications and other illnesses but keep on soldering on:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 7
    • Hug Hug x 2
  5. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Yes, keep on going and don't let it rule your life and keep soldering on:) But I have another 15 years to go yeto_O

• Like Like x 1
  6. rochari

rochari Type 1 · Well-Known Member

50 years on insulin here, BOHDE and I feel for you. With me it's the constant tiredness which seems to have become much worse in the past 12 months although that might be an age thing but I am not sure. I worry about sometimes about what might be ahead.

It's good though that you've found the forum and the support of the great folks on here can't be beaten. Come back often and keep chatting with us.

Bill

• Like Like x 15
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  7. czj

czj Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, been diabetic on insulin for 45 years now. I'm doing pretty well, and while I have always paid attention to my diabetes, I'm sure luck has played its part. We've just got to keep soldiering on.

How do you spend your days now you no longer work?

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Auckland Canary

Auckland Canary Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just out of interest how many of the 40 years + people have issues because of it? I am 31 years and counting now and apart from a bit of background retinopathy I am doing pretty well. However as I am still only 40 years old I have a long way to go and was wondering about the chances of things deteriorating. I read somewhere the average life expectancy of a T1 is 69 so that is not really very good and what also worries me is quality of life rather than quantity

• Like Like x 5
  9. cally

cally Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed in 1971 so that's 43 years ! I don't have any complications yet, just a few aches and pains.
    But that might be normal because I am nearly 60! I am still working and have no intention of retiring yet
    I did have some years of not very good control when I was a teenager, and when my kids were young.
    I think I am very lucky not to have complications but I do work hard at keeping my HBA1c low now.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. rochari

rochari Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Auckland Canary, so far I've got no diabetic complications. Over the years some doctors have mentioned to me that may be because of the direct genetic link I have. My mother, grandmother and great-grandmother were all type 1's. My great-granny died from the disease as there was no insulin available then.

The constant tiredness is my biggest problem but, as I mentioned, that is possibly now an age thing. I'm only in my 60's but I do sometimes feel a lot older.

Of course, the kids say I've lost all street-cred anyway as I don't have a smart phone and watch gardening programmes!

Bill

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

49 years on insulin for me I was diagnosed aged 4 1/2 so far no complications.

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

My diabetes hero, Dr Richard K Bernstein is turning 80 this year and has been living with diabetes since childhood - not only has he reversed most of his own complications since coming up with his plan, he's helped countless patients as well. The man is a living legend!

• Like Like x 24
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

I'm racking up my 38th year & used to wonder how my life would turn out in my mid 40's.. Which is where I'm at now!

I can't complain... The only time I see my doc is for check ups..
    Yep, I've had the odd slip up with control along the way.. My teens.. & unusually mid 30's where I wanted to "tick a few boxes" before I hit the end of the decade..

Incidentally I read when I was 12/3 in a medical book that "no matter how well controlled, diabetes can shorten life by 10 years"...
    Probably why I like to cram it all in...!?

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Not quite 40 years but soon coming up to year 33 living with type 1 diabetes. I did have diabetic retinopathy but been clear of that for the last 9 years, no other complications and hope to keep it this way when I reach the 40 mark, if I get to 50 years without anything major then I'll be a happy man.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. toby64

toby64 Type 1 · Active Member

Hello All,
    i have been a type 1 for over 53 years, but alas i am starting to have some complications, i feel due to years of working in industries of high stress,
    Hypertension, Urine retention, and now allergic reactions to some antibiotics and blood pressure tablets, no longer in the work force now, this is due to accidents in motor vehicles, these were not my fault, but life goes on am finding new hobbies and things to do each day.
    Best Regards Toby64

• Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  16. JonTheBlue

JonTheBlue · Member

I was diagnosed in Sept 1954 so have been Type 1 for 59 years 9 months no complications to speak of. I feel very fortunate to have lived so long with diabetes with no complications and the only advice I can give is to learn to live with it, do not fight it and monitor your BG.

• Like Like x 22
    • Winner Winner x 4
  17. JonTheBlue

JonTheBlue · Member

I was diagnosed in Sept 1954 so have been Type 1 for 59 years 9 months no complications to speak of. I feel very fortunate to have lived so long with diabetes with no complications and the only advice I can give is to learn to live with it, do not fight it and monitor your BG.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. phil overfield

phil overfield Type 1 · Newbie

Hi,I was diagnose in 1959 when I was 11 years.I have got a few complications but I dont let it get me down.
    I too am on Novo rapid and Lantus.Just enjoy life.

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  19. bernie25

bernie25 Type 1 · Member

I was diagnosed when I was 6yrs old I have had it 51yrs now I have no complications. My HbA1c is always around 6.5 I was put on a pump 2 yrs ago but am unsure as to whether I will stay on it. It is great as you don't have to remember to take injections with you. I am not sure if I am as well controlled on it.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  20. uklilmo

uklilmo Type 1 · Newbie

Neatly 50 years, anyone remember the camping holidays in Suffolk. Was just diagnosed at age of 12 and at the time thought I was only diabetic in the world, but at camp realised was not alone lol. Feeling tired but due to age and other complications, and trying to keep weight down, but very hard due to limited mobility due to vascular disease.

• Like Like x 7
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook