Has anyone in the UK been prescribed 'NovoPen® 6 & NovoPen Echo?'

EJTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Waking up in the night with a hypos and a loss of sensor alarms from CGM
Hello has anyone in the UK been prescribed, 'NovoPen® 6 & NovoPen Echo 5 Plus?' I would really to hear from you even if you have asked or been refused any of them. I have recently bought two Timesulin caps for my flex pens Levemir/and Novorapid, but I'm still in doubt about how much I have taken even after a few minutes.

If you can't receive any of them on prescription and where would be the safest place to order them from? I know with the echo 5 pens it tells you how much your last insulin dose was, but to have a digital log of how much and when units of insulin would amazing!

I haven't had a refillable cartridge pen for years as I found them really heavy and was changed to disposable pens. For those who have the echo 5 pen or similar are they heavy?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smiler99

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello has anyone in the UK been prescribed, 'NovoPen® 6 & NovoPen Echo?' I would really to hear from you even if you have asked or been refused any of them. I have recently bought two Timesulin caps for my flex pens Levemir/and Novorapid, but I'm still in doubt about how much I have taken even after a few minutes.

If you can't receive any of them on prescription and where would be the safest place to order them from? I know with the echo 5 pens it tells you how much your last insulin dose was, but to have a digital log of how much and when units of insulin would amazing!

I haven't had a refillable cartridge pen for years as I found them really heavy and was changed to disposable pens. For those who have the echo 5 pen or similar are they heavy?

Many thanks.
I was first given NovoPen Echo by a hospital Diabetes Nurse eight years ago, and then got a second one on prescription from the GP. I needed two pens, in different colours, one for NovoRapid and the other for Tresiba. I like NovoPen Echo pens because they also measure half doses. Although I have been using an insulin pump for over three years now, I still have NovoPen Echos with me as a back-up. They weight about 60 gr (with insulin in) and are less bulky than the disposable pens were eight years ago.

Reactions: LucySW and EJTC

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
I was given 2 Pen 6 by Daiabetic Unit at Hodpital

Reactions: EJTC

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an Echo 5 pen which I've used for several years. Not really very heavy.

andrzejLKS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was given the NovoPen Echo (1 red one for NovoRapid, 1 blue for Levemir) on diagnosis in December. I did a bit of research on the NovoPen 6 & NovoPen Echo Plus and I would like to get the Echo Plus, however I'm unsure if its on the NHS and if I would be able to change pens.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I saw that the NovoPen Echo 6 has just been approved by the NHS. It’s one I’d like but I don’t know if the local CGC or the GP’s budget will stretch to it. I’ll be asking. I use prescribed two NovoPen Echos, different colours for bolus and basal, and have been for some years. Anyone know the price difference between 5 and 6?

EJTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Waking up in the night with a hypos and a loss of sensor alarms from CGM
I was given 2 Pen 6 by Diabetic Unit at Hodpital
I am waiting to get an appointment with a Dr at the Diabetic hospital unit and I will ask them about the echopen6 then.

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
echopen 6 looks very interesting, especially for recording once a day basal.
Can'y really see any point for fast acting though.
So, can we get it yet in the UK?

Marie4james

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was given 2 echo 5’s - one for basal one for bolus as I am extremely insulin sensitive and need the ability to use the 1/2 dose option. They were given to me by my DSN at the hospital.

Smiler99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles
Hello has anyone in the UK been prescribed, 'NovoPen® 6 & NovoPen Echo 5 Plus?' I would really to hear from you even if you have asked or been refused any of them. I have recently bought two Timesulin caps for my flex pens Levemir/and Novorapid, but I'm still in doubt about how much I have taken even after a few minutes.

Many thanks.
I have novo echo pen as you can take half units which is incredibly helpful

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interestingly, I needed a new spare Novopen.

On ordering my prescription last Monday I noticed the Novopen 6 was amended to my list saying the 5 was no longer available.
Soooo I’ve just picked it up (with the insulin & wot not.)
& followed the prompt in librelink to set the pen up..

Several failed attempts to tether the Novopen 6 to the app. Dispite hitting the NFC spot. It just made a scanned noise then an error.
Disappointment then an idea!

The app gives you 2 options of Novopen, the 6 & the echo plus before tethering? My new pen is certainly a 6.
I chose the “Echo plus” option & it works.!

If you use 2 Novo pens they can either be identified by the serial number on the twist out dose dialer. Or by the colour?
(If you use basal & bolus from Novo Nordisk. Which I don’t.)

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve been using Novopen Echo Plus for a while now. Being able to record doses by scanning is a great innovation, but I think the battery power, or memory, need to be upgraded. Too many times that the function has failed before the material life of the pen.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been using Novopen Echo Plus for a while now. Being able to record doses by scanning is a great innovation, but I think the battery power, or memory, need to be upgraded. Too many times that the function has failed before the material life of the pen.
It’s meant to have a 3 year warranty on the pen, looking at the instructions..?

I’ve only just this afternoon started using it. (Novopen 6.) I do have spare N5s the readout on the N5 was starting getting flakey & the overall state of the pen was tatty.
I’d had it for years…

It was bizarre that I had to choose “echo plus” in the LL app to tether the N6. (Edit.) get the app to read it..

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I've just thrown my novo echo pens away as for cost cutting purposes they won't prescribe novo rapid insulin anymore .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just thrown my novo echo pens away as for cost cutting purposes they won't prescribe novo rapid insulin anymore .
What are you prescribed in it’s place?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trurapi , which apparently is a lot cheaper .
Sanofi brand.

Oddly, I found this on my search. https://newforestpcn.co.uk/network-services/medicines/trurapi#:~:text=Patients using Novorapid fast acting,biosimilar medication made by Sanofi.

It does say this.

“There are some situations in which you might not want to switch, for example:
  • If you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy you may want to wait until after you deliver your baby
  • If you are using an insulin pump we would not recommend changing at this time
  • If you use smart features of your current insulin pen e.g. bluetooth connectivity “
I’ve not been hit by this “recommended change.” I personally find Novorapid works great for me.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Sanofi brand.

Oddly, I found this on my search. https://newforestpcn.co.uk/network-services/medicines/trurapi#:~:text=Patients using Novorapid fast acting,biosimilar medication made by Sanofi.

It does say this.

“There are some situations in which you might not want to switch, for example:
  • If you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy you may want to wait until after you deliver your baby
  • If you are using an insulin pump we would not recommend changing at this time
  • If you use smart features of your current insulin pen e.g. bluetooth connectivity “
I’ve not been hit by this “recommended change.” I personally find Novorapid works great for me.
I have been on the Trurapi for about 2 months now and haven't noticed any difference to the Novo rapid it's just as slow for me so if it's saving the NHS money that's good , it did hurt though throwing the pens away , I did have a bit of a clear out of old equipment and threw away old blood testing monitors and even an old wristband hypo alert , no use now so had to go !