Has anyone noticed a drop in blood glucose levels after giving up Diet Coke?

lotsoffun1

I didn’t think it made much of a difference but I’ve given it up for 4 days now - and have exactly the same lunch each day and now by blood glucose is exactly 0.9mmol less!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I didn’t think it made much of a difference but I’ve given it up for 4 days now - and have exactly the same lunch each day and now by blood glucose is exactly 0.9mmol less!

May depend which brand you are drinking and what is being used as a sweetener.

Some people are affected by artificial sweeteners, some aren't.

These days I buy Sainsbury's own brand zero or diet cola as they are the only ones I've found that are sweetened with sucralose. And I don't notice anything significant.

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to eat a lot of sugar free jellies and once I cut them out my bs dropped, obviously its the artificial sweetner in it

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I can honestly say no because I have not given diet coke up but then again I normally drink diet pepsi and I haven't given that up either.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

"0.9mmol" less than what? What where you usually trending?

Reading about, there is also stuff about links to caffeine possibly raising BG too?

Buzzer81

Doesn’t surprise me. The advent of artificial sweeteners and sugar replacements over the last many decades has done precisely nothing in solving the obesity or diabetes epidemic. They are best avoided if you can. I used to drink loads of Diet Coke and Coke Zero. I loved it. But am glad to have replaced it and still now enjoy sparkling water as a treat!

Reactions: Bearing up