Has anyone tested to see if this really works with resistant starch?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a test to see if freezing bread made any difference - and I think I did macaroni (It was some years ago now) but there was no difference for me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you do a Search for 'resistant starch' using the forum search function, you will find a multitude of threads where it has been mentioned, including many personal anecdotes.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does with me and potatoes - mash and jackets are a definite no no for me, but tinned I can actually have a couple of. Pasta is slightly better having been frozen but still to big a rise. The only way to find out is to try and test

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Doesn't make a difference for me. I need as much insulin the first day as the second day reheated from the fridge, or weeks later, thawed and reheated from the freezer.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Different people respond differently to different things, so it's a matter of test it and see, as @lessci said.

There's an old discussion regarding cashews which naturally contain resistant starch and I can eat them in fairly small quantities with no problem. I can also manage small numbers of high carb chestnuts - bought in vacuum packs ready cooked, and frozen and re-heated as needed. But I've chosen to avoid eating potatoes, rice or real bread since being diagnosed, so not ever experimented with those.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There's an old discussion regarding cashews which naturally contain resistant starch and I can eat them in fairly small quantities with no problem.
I've never encountered this discussion but I have been puzzled by my (almost non-existant) reaction to a generous portion of cashews!
Mind, when I eat them it's before bed, the only time of day I can get away with more carbs than the rest of the day so this might be a false effect. Still, I'm going to look for this discussion :)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried freezing into portion size, cooked rice, pasta, and cooking potatoes and putting in fridge for use next day. All have been seen a lower bgl except the rice which did not seem to make a difference.

Beating-My-Betes

A blogger named Richard Nikoley, many moons ago, did a series of rounds of testing with resistant starch to see how it affected his blood-sugars. He and a guy known as Duck Dodgers wrote up a whole series about it. It actually sparked a whole spate of members of Mark Sisson's now-defunct primal forum, who had previously sworn off carbs, finding themselves to have great results by adding potatoes back into their diets. It was fun times :)

RN and DD also did a series on Inuit and hormesis (All under 'Projects', on his site), which is an interesting read.

DISCLAIMER: Not providing any links, here. If you do Google for and visit his blog, please keep in mind that his manner often doesn't make for particularly pleasant reading (Potty-mouthed and short-fused). In general, if you stick to the projects that I mentioned and avoid the comment sections it's not so much of an issue. But there is a lot of interesting back and forth in those comment sections, so...

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As people have said the best thing always is to experiment carefully on yourself. There are a lot of things to consider for me one of the factors is how hard/easy I find to portion control. There are somethings I'm not willing to try as I don't miss them particularly at the moment but I fear if I eat some I will and may find it difficult to stop.

When I started I found a very low carb milk type chocolate available here in Australia. I found over time I was eating more. -first one square then two etc. It's easier for me to have none- sad but true for me. I've bought a limited amount for Easter and then won't buy more for a while.

Good luck.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found over time I was eating more. -first one square then two etc. It's easier for me to have none- sad but true for me. I've bought a limited amount for Easter and then won't buy more for a while.
This is similar to the saying "one's to many, the carton is not enough" with beer.

So I know what you mean @VashtiB

Reactions: VashtiB