Has anyone tried canagliflozin?

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saw my GP on Friday because of a very annoying feeling of hot water being poured over my foot, which turned out to be the start of nerve problems due to the high glucose levels I have been experiencing.

Anyway I am picking up a new medicine tomorrow called canagliflozin. Apparently it works by expelling glucose through the kidneys and out when you pee. Makes you go quite often but was told I would have to keep an eye on my sugars as this works quickly but hoping this will work.

Has anyone else tried this?

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saw my GP on Friday because of a very annoying feeling of hot water being poured over my foot, which turned out to be the start of nerve problems due to the high glucose levels I have been experiencing.

Anyway I am picking up a new medicine tomorrow called canagliflozin. Apparently it works by expelling glucose through the kidneys and out when you pee. Makes you go quite often but was told I would have to keep an eye on my sugars as this works quickly but hoping this will work.

Has anyone else tried this?
Sounds like forxiga (dapagliflozin)! There is a thread on here about forxiga- I am on that as metformin didn't agree with me at all, it has been brilliant for me since day one! Check out the other thread, let us know how you get on with it!!

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I went on to Forxiga / dapagliflozin on Tuesday night - which works in a similar way. So far, It's brilliant. My bloods are down from the teens, to the 7's and 8's. I've even witnessed a 5 (which I haven't seen for a year or so).
The only side effects I've had have been mild. Some tiredness, a bit headachey, but nothing really to worry about. I've peed about twice as much as I would normally, so I would advocate drinking plenty to keep your system flushed.
The real plus point for me is that I've lost 7lbs in less than a week.

Reactions: 2 people

kenbaker6679

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spiders
It's a fantastic drug, it really helps i was really high before having this added no matter what i did i was struggling to bring my sugars down, this med has really helped me allot, yes you pee allot more but ensure you stay hydrated on this, it's really easy to not drink enough then suffer from dehydration.

If your doctor does not give you strips then you should ensure they are while on this medication! It's really important and they cannot refuse them to you.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have been on forxiga (dapagliflozin) for about three months and been fine however the levels have risen and the nurse has decided to put me on this drug together with some fast acting Humalog at tea time I will be monitored for a few days then depending on levels she will decide if need a long acting insulin in the morning..I am so hoping not but we will see...finger crossed I do nto start this till Monday as the Nurse is away for the weekend and back Monday she wants to be on hand in case I need her :)

Reactions: 2 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Started the tabs on sat ... but have noticed my levels have risen slightly so am hoping they will drop after starting the humalog at tea time.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
strips oh you mean testing strips yes they have always given me them I was a little uncertain wether they would when they said ppl not on insulin needeed but have had no trouble so far

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Humalog --- been on this for four weeks now and putting on weight did not realise Insulin made you put on weight and don't realy want to put on any more weight as took me ages to get rid of it in the first place...

julieemma

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
It took a few months before I felt the nasty side effects.
If you experience any leg or foot pain stop this tablet immediately.
I will tag @liam1955 for his experiences.

Sounds like forxiga (dapagliflozin)! There is a thread on here about forxiga- I am on that as metformin didn't agree with me at all, it has been brilliant for me since day one! Check out the other thread, let us know how you get on with it!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Please have a look at the sticky on "Other Diabetes Medications"