Has anyone tried Konjac Flour rices/pasta substitutes?

di_type_2

Also called konnyaku.

I've
read up about it and found a number of online suppliers but is it worth the money? Does it taste OK?

I was diagnosed just over a month ago and am really struggling trying to find quick, and easy meals that actually satisfy me.

Thank you

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
these are more commonly known as miracle noodles...they have zero taste, have a fishy smell that is removed by rinsing, a strange very al dente texture and absorb the flavours of what you cook them with.

Fantastic as it is basically 100% fibre, very good for you and your blood sugars and any weight loss attempt you are making

for me, though others have different diets that work for them, when i focus on a clean (raw produce...nothing manufactured, refined, processed) diet, excercise, lose weight etc then my bloods are well controlled...miracle noodles form a part of that...good with stir fry's...i haven't had the spaghetti ones

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also called konnyaku.

I've
read up about it and found a number of online suppliers but is it worth the money? Does it taste OK?

I was diagnosed just over a month ago and am really struggling trying to find quick, and easy meals that actually satisfy me.

Thank you

Curiously enough, I had some of these (in the form of rice, if you get mt drift) last night.

They are a bit odd, with a strange texture, but if you really feel you need it, they do provide a "carrier" for other parts of a dish. Fortunately, I have always been able to eat small portions of proper rice, so this was a bit of an experiment. I bought a couple of packs a few months ago and found the remaining pack last night.

This morning, I was reminded why I hadn't eaten the second pack before now. Tummy ache. Nothing dire, just an undesirable side-effect, which has resolved itself by now.

Give them a whirl, you may like them.

K

Kat100

Always good to know of new foods ....they may work for some ...
I do eat small portions of rice , but I will think about them ...
Thank you for sharing ...

di_type_2

Thank you for your replies - I'll give them a go.
I was expecting to be able small portions of carbs but so far they've spiked my blood sugars.
Initially I was really craving but it's eased off a bit now.
It would be nice to have a substitute.

cookiesT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just bought rice, pasta and noodles from Holland and Barratt not tried them yet. They almost seems too good to be true, but I'm going to give them a go. Hoping they do the job as I am having trouble cutting the carbs. When I do cut them down I seem to get hypos and they take a long time to recover from them.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Yes I've been eating them for a while. I usually make a stir fry of chicken/fish and veggies and throw in half a packet of the noodles and also I make zucchini spirals and chuck them in as well ... add some oyster sauce. They are filling and very diet friendly and also high in fibre. You can also get lasagne which I've tried but don't see it too often over here. Didn't like the rice much but the noodles are good :)