Has anyone tried to control their BS with stuff they found in studies?

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I"m going to go a little over board with it... so the affects of one of my lifestyle changes won't be noteable... but I've decided I have to try a bunch of things to fix this and get it under control before it gets worse. The more of the stuff that can't hurt me that may help me the better, right?

I'm going to be trying biotin, D3, flavanols (assuming the chocolate I grabbed has them...), chromium (pill form if I can find it, brocolii for now), and exercise (will aim for both aerobic and muscle building)

in the middle of typing this I looked up information about chocolate and flavanols... should have bought unsweetened baking chocolate... will next time.

Have you or anyone you've known tried anything? any success?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The short answer is yes.
Change of diet, a lot of weight loss, a lot of exercise, and yes, a good success.
No magic bullet though, I didn't try any vitamins, pills, supplements, (although broccoli has appeared on the menu, but only as a vegetable to me)
But it was a complete lifestyle change.

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
didn't know cinnamon could help... will have to find some studies and add it, or whatever is in it, to my list =D

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I have no faith in the old wive's tales. We live in an era where if something had some chemistry that helped then it would be changed to tabs or capsules.

I think diabetes and gout are about what you don't eat not what you can eat to fix the problem.

Better to not cause the problem then try to fix the problem later.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I have no faith in the old wive's tales. We live in an era where if something had some chemistry that helped then it would be changed to tabs or capsules.

I think diabetes and gout are about what you don't eat not what you can eat to fix the problem.

Better to not cause the problem then try to fix the problem later.
Call me a cynic @forge but "if something had some chemistry that helped then it would be changed to tabs or capsules" only if it can be made exclusive to the manufacturer and they can make a profit on it!

Reactions: 2 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
They sell all sorts of con jobs out of so called health food shops.

A Health Food is a weird name for a shop that only sells processed food at best. But the punters read the labels and believe every word.

If they called something "leg- puller" and said it improved knee joints by hydroponic elasticity from above the ankle to below the hip, then it would probably sell. It would not matter what was in it somebody would swear that it works.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tried most of the supplements you mention, @EPhantom - all the ones suggested by Dr Bernstein in fact. I could not tell if it was making a difference. As it was expensive and unpalatable, I stopped after a few months.

I sympathise with your intention to throw everything you can at the problem though.

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I like the way you think forge... well do and don't at the same time XD I like the suspicion that it could all be just for capitalistic gain, but not so much for the seek truth. I'll see if I can make any improvements with myself... even though I'm going to be trying most anything that won't damage my system.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Broadly I agree with @forge in that I think the improvements from supplements are minor at best, where the improvements from diet and good old fashioned blood sugar management are major.

EPhantom, are you getting the basics right and still seeing trouble with blood glucose control? If not I would suggest focusing on the basics first. Easier said than done. I think I need to go "back to basics" at the moment.

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
So far I think I've found that if I don't want a major spike around the 1 hour mark, I need to stick to 20g of carbs or less... but I will have to do a larger carb test every so often to see if my resistance is going down or not. No idea if this is all steroid related, partly, or none at all.

I'll be adding exercise in after EVERY meal now, I saw a good improvement when I just walked for an hour after eating... so walking, jogging, or something more for muscle building could help a lot more. Adding in the vitamins is for test and precaution... especially because of my liver. I would hate to find out that I'm deficient in something because of my liver, that it caused my resistance, and progressed me to become diabetic. Things that are fat soluble are harder for me to digest, they always will be.

Edit: I really should add that info to my signature...

Reactions: 2 people

n_walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read some interesting articles on Green Coffee Bean extract, and studies have shown a significant reduction in post meal sugar spike reduction. So I'm going to give these a go.

dilbert56

I have tried on recommendation something called a Kerela fruit or bitter melon. Used in South Indian food it is supposed to have naturally occurring hypoglycaemic properties?! Having tried it, I can tell you it is one of the most bitter things you will taste uncooked. This improves if you fry it as you would a courgette. Jury is out on whether there is a difference but having scoffed one down (slowly and painfully) I did feel better after stomach cramps and dicky guts subsided. Maybe purifies your insides in some way then starts to work? Living in vast hope after 20 years of type 1!

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I've never heard of it. I'm completely new to this whole blood sugar thing... it's still freaking me out, and weather or not I'll have it for ever or I'll be "normal" is still up in the air.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. I eat all the so called super foods from journals and studies and anything I found to be anti cancer etc. But only the unprocessed food ones. It won't hurt us to try! I have the bitter gourd once in a while.