Has everybody got diabetes.

TuTusweet

Or is this just the dream of the drug companies? Everybody has BG levels that bounce up and down. My wife eats some shocking stuff and her BG goes up. But I do admit her pancreas gets hold of the situation a lot faster than mine. Is that the true meaning of diabetes? A speedy and thuggish pancreas..
This whole thing puzzles me. Seventeen months ago my so-called GP said she thought I had diabetes. This was based on a blood test result which was almost identical with seven previous results over 4 and a half years that had not interested her at all.
It was World Diabetes Week or something that week so maybe she had read a leaflet on diabetes and vaguely recalled her training or she wanted as many new diabetics as possible to enter a raffle for a new car.
She tried to put me on Eucreas (Icandra) (which is pretty powerful) at one per day. The website says two a day. She said nothing about monthly liver and kidney function tests. Then she said come back and see me in a year.
I had a forceful meeting with her and told her to stick her tablets as I planned to deal with it by diet and exercise.

Seventeen months on I have lost 3.5 stone and my morning BG readings are between 5.6 and 6.7. Three hours after evening meal they are usually between 6.7 and 7.6. Very rarely they go to 8. On two nights they were 8.8 and 8.9 --both the result of going to an Indian restaurant.
The highest my A1c has been in 4.5 years was 7.4.

I don't think I have diabetes. I don't think I ever had diabetes. BUT, does the simple fact that a sloppy careless GP once said I did have diabetes, mean I am saddled with that for life?
It's like I tell people I do not have high blood pressure. Because I don't. The tablets keep it down. Obvious.

What does the person who has got to the end of this spiel think? Please..

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry mate, A1c over 6.5% is diabetes.
you may find testing at 2 hrs better accuracy http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

good move losing the weight, that should have helped your BG. your fasting bg indicates you should be able to get your readings down, by having your blood meter only go up by 2mm after a meal. by adjusting the amount of carbs you eat.
This gives a simple overview to how it works
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical

a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Reactions: 8 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You mention your numbers are reasonable at three hours but are you also testing at two? It could be that you're missing some higher spikes.

That 7.4 A1c equates to an average reading of 9.2mmol/mol and it may well have come down since your fairly spectacular weight loss - have you had a recent A1c?